Posting Oversized Images and Display Resolution

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an old guy who just got his first set of bifocals, I keep my monitor a few inches more than arm's length from my eyeballs. I like to keep my resolution at 800 x 600 for those nice big characters to make it easy on myself.

Some people post "oversized" photos and images that require a lot of side to side and up and down scrolling for me to see. I have really fast broadband and a fast computer, so maybe I shouldn't complain. Some of the fellahs with dial-up and slower computers must grind their teeth though.

I post a lot of photos on CPF and I always crop and/or resize them to 600 width or less. This way, just about anyone can see the whole picture without scrolling, regardless of their resolution setting.

Some newbies don't know how to crop and resize, but there are some members here who do and just don't seem to care.

Particularly annoying to me, is how their oversized image puts the whole page into a widescreen that requires either a resolution reset or side scrolling for the rest of the page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

Then there's those l-o-o-o-ng URLs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Britt... welcome to my world... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ... The image thing really hacks me off... but like you, the long URL's near sends me through the roof! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ... especially because it indicates to me that the poster never bothered to read the CPF Rules & FAQs. If they did, they'd see that I provided step by step instruction on how to avoid that... again, here's the thing about not reading and following directions... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha, your instructions are how I learned to post URLs properly. They make it so simple a chimp like me can do it.

It must be very irritating indeed to see so many who just don't bother to read instructions or, worse, just ignore them. I'll bet you've got all kinds of stories to tell from your time in Army Intelligence about the importance of attention to detail. We're lucky to have the benefit of your discipline here.

Come to think of it, I better go check my settings and make certain I don't have that button checked for PMs being emailed to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

Keep your standards, that's why this place doesn't go to hell in a handbasket. I thought the comparison to QD/QID was a great example, that little old "I" makes all the difference. I'm gonna try to work that into my repertoire for attention to detail lectures.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theepdinker

Enlightened
About the url thing.
I don't know how to do anything about it, didn't know how to find out till a minute ago.
Whenever I've posted a long url I did it in a fashion that kept screen size normal. It wasn't anything I did knowingly, that's just how it worked out, so I was okay with it.
I'm guessing it wasn't a problem since nobody got after me about it.
When I read the rules & FAQ's I guess I read or remembered only the ones likely to apply at the time. I'm not real sharp with a computer, so at that time posting or starting a thread of my own was out of the question.

Still learning as I go & about much more than just flashlights.I'm doing what I can to repay by helping those that don't know what I've already learned here.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the patients & help.

Theepdinker

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Posting Oversized Images and Display Resoluti

I have found the easiest way for me to do URLs is to start my reply, type till I want to insert a URL, making sure preview box is selected I choose continue and then I can access the panel to insert URLs, pictures etc. I think people that are learning how to do things shouls make sure and preview their replies often till they get things figured out so they wont end up with a mess. Even with previewing things I have to go back and edit typoze because I dood a word that doesn't sound wright.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I concur(!) with hating horizontal scrolling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif For those too lazy to read the FAQ's, Clk "reply" and use the link button. Paste your link, clk "OK" and title it. Same functionality for an original poster.

Larry

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't seem to get Logic's pic hosting site to work now. It was great because it would size the pics for you.

A couple of weeks ago I had to get in my car and drive east for several minutes to find the end of a URL link. I didn't mind that too much but when I have to drive back and forth several times between the Pacific and the Atlantic to find out what is being said in Denver it gets annoying. Happily, I don't have a gas powered mouse any more. I got me an electric.

Niteowl

Enlightened

Due to my light and knife fixation, I make due with a five year old lap-top and dial-up. When oversized pictures start to load, I'll usually stop and go to another thread. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great shots, but I don't have the time or patience. Dial-up sucks as it is, high resolution poster size pictures make the on-line experiance miserable.

Mark