LIPSTICK AAA 10mm LED Arc AAA transplant

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very, VERY long time ago one of the most gracious, patient CPFers I've ever come across, DSimpson, sent me a Peak AAA (basically an unanodized Arc AAA clone) that he'd purchased from their "seconds" page (at least that's what I think he said... it really WAS a long time ago!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif The Arc AAA design, as we all know, is a perennial CPF favorite, even a classic in the history of LED flashlights. Trouble was, the LED in this particular light was absolutely terrible! The color was pregnancy test "uh oh!" blue, brightness was similar to an unlit lump of coal, and beam pattern... well, I don't type those words in public. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, I received the light with the very broad mandate to "make it into something useful." Then after pausing to celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and most recently, Valentine's Day, I got to work.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Turns out my extreme procrastination was a good thing, sort of, in that I'd meanwhile stumbled upon a particularly nice batch of 10mm LEDs... unlike most LEDs of this size, the ones I had found delivered great output with the typical 20mA rather than 100-150mA. Also, the beam pattern is superb! It won't win any awards against a Pelican Reflector anytime soon, but for this type of LED I was amazed to find a perfectly round hotspot that even threw for a decent distance. Incredible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The one remaining impediment to my progress was my own ignorance of how all you other folks mod these little Arc AAA lights. They're really small! Plus the circuit is of course potted into the head, and in this case I wanted to PRESERVE the circuit, not destroy it. I posted about exactly that and gathered from the replies that it wasn't possible. But then a couple neurons actually fired in my lazy Milky brain, and I got a very interesting idea, muahahahhaaaaaaaaa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Take a look!

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-work-front.jpg

It occurred to me that the existing LED had two leads, so why not drill DOWN from the FRONT of the head until I reached them? In theory it seemed like it would work fine, although my lack of metalworking tools basically meant that I spent WAY too much time drilling into the head. The procedure felt like doing an Arc AAA root canal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Eventually I did indeed succeed in reaching the leads, then cleaned all the dust and aluminum fragments out of the head and ever so gingerly soldered a pair of wires onto the two leads. I snipped virtually the entire length of the leads from one of my 10mm LEDs, then gently soldered the wires to that as well. To add some insurance against ripping out the tiny little solder connections, I applied some super glue to each connection and waited for it to dry. Here's an overhead view of the operation...

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-work-overhead.jpg

Then of course, being a flashaholic, I had to fire up this bad boy to see if it would actually work. It did! Darned well I might add (although I'm biased.)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

The final step in the procedure was to apply some sort of super strong but rubbery Elmer's adhesive (sorry, forgot the exact name) in hopes of preserving the waterproofing of the light... the adhesive got squirted into the opening, spread around liberally... then I squished the LED into the head as far as possible and did my best to seat it so it wasn't crooked.

And now, my friends, the LIPSTICK AAA was born! (The name reflects the fact that the protruding 10mm LED kinda reminded me of a lipstick holder with the "business end" cranked up and out, ready for action.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-front-profile.jpg

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-rear-profile.jpg

Let's light this candle! Hee hee hee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-front-lit.jpg

As shown below, the beam from the 10mm LED is pretty different from its smaller cousins, probably due to the larger "optic's" improved ability to gather and focus the beam. It emits a fairly tight circular hotspot with an odd dark region around it, but then a very broad ring of light beyond THAT. Anyway, IMHO this particular beamshot looks kinda cool... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-overhead-lit.jpg

Finally we see the circular hotspot head-on, from a distance of about 1 foot. For an LED of this variety, it's actually quite nice. (BTW, those dark streaks in the background are shadows on the piece of white cardboard I was using as a target, mainly due to the fact that I took the beamshots during the daytime, hence the shadows.)

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-beamshot.jpg

Voila! I present to you the oddly-named Lipstick AAA. Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

teststrips

Enlightened
Re: Milkyspit\'s LIPSTICK AAA 10mm LED transplant

nice, thanks for documenting your mod. I'm waiting on some 10mm's to go into a solitaire mod, i hope they work as well as yours did

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice work and writeup, Milky! It's aptly named, too. Now that you've got the prototype done, do you think you too might go into the Arc AAA mod-for-hire biz, or is the labor required prohibitive? What was the total basement time for this bad boy?

bucken

Enlightened

Now that's real ingenuity! Never thought of approaching one from that direction. Interesting...

DSimpson

Newly Enlightened

You've created a MONSTER!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

But, I like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Teststrips, I hope the 10mm LEDs fit inside the solitaire! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif If so, it'll probably be a nice mod. The Solitaire is long enough to enclose the LED entirely, and thereby protect it from damage, which is a nice touch. Remember, though, that you will need a boost circuit unless you're planning on using a AAA Li-ion cell, in which case you'll need a resistor at the very least to limit current flow through the LED.

Phaser, it IS fairly labor intensive plus requires a delicate touch with the soldering iron (no caffeine jitters allowed!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif but strangely didn't produce much scar tissue (both figurative and literal), so yes, I'd be willing to do this mod again. I probably spent about an hour getting the hole drilled and sized just right, then all the remaining steps took maybe 30 minutes combined. I'm sure I could do it more quickly next time, now that I know what's involved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bucken, thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DSimpson, the monster is coming by mail... look out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... by my count there are at least two beamshots, plus one photo of the illuminated LED but not really a beamshot. What did you have in mind, my Phaserish friend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, let me be more specific: comparitive beamshots vs. stock, and other suitable vessels that may be present in Milky's Small White Fleet of tight and bright lights!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaser, one logistical problem... I've already boxed up the mod to send to DSimpson, its rightful owner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Maybe you can convince HIM to post some beamshots.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

(hint, hint) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif