SureFire L2 heat test

Disciple

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I chose to run a thermal test of my new L2. I do not have equipment appropriate for measurement, but as that has been done before it was not the reason for this test in the first place.

My test consisted of continuously running the L2 on high, while holding it in my hands. I chose to put my hand around the head and bezel, because it theory the blood flow should help to cool something that is >37°C. Most of the time I was not significantly obstructing the beam.

Since my hands served as tools, it is important to note that I do not have tough skin. I doubt my hands are more heat tolerant than any other adult's.

I found that I was able to hold onto the L2 throughout the test without pain. I changed hands every few minutes once it heated up because I found this more comfortable, but I am confident I would have been able keep in it one hand if required. I was not playing "hot potato" with the L2.

I hope this is useful information to anyone wondering just how warm this light actually gets.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the L2 mostly on low, and the rare times on high only fow a couple minutes at a time at most. I hope by using high sparingly (since low is enough light anyway for 99% of my needs), that the LED life will be greater than 500 hours?

I've already got over 50 hours use out of my most used L2, I'd hate to think its already 10% through its life already. Its the perfect around-the-house light for me, and I use the L2 more often than any other light.

Disciple

Enlightened
357, I too will use my L2 mostly on low. I performed this test because I wanted to know what the light was capable of. Think of it like people firing Glock 17's under water. That's one thing I won't be doing, but I can understand someone wanting to prove for himself that it works.

Al, thanks for the great resource link. I hope that my wholly incomparable test will offer a somewhat different perspective.

Disciple

Enlightened
By the way, I am curious to know what temperature range might to normal hands be described as mildly uncomfortable, but surely not painful during prolonged contact.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I would think that the LED is covered under SF's lifetime warranty right? So if I run it for 1000 hours and the LED becomes noticibly dimmer than a new one, they should replace it?

I hope so because I'm not using any of mine sparingly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Disciple, for your 'hands on' experiment!
The L2 does get pretty hot, but it is nice to know that it is still managable in the event I would run it on high for that long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif