What is the square root of negative one?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mattheww50 said:
Well, if you are mathmatician, it is i
if you are an Electrical Engineer it is j

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct
To a Chaotician it is the lynchpin that holds everything together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
If it is 0 degrees celcius (or farenhiet what ever your fancy) today. and its going to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is going to be?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Is that even possible to answer DaFiend?!?!?

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DaFiend said:
If it is 0 degrees celcius (or farenhiet what ever your fancy) today. and its going to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is going to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this simplistic approach works:

If it was 20 deg C yesterday, and it's now 0 deg C, and it's going to be twice as cold tomorrow, then it'll be -20 deg C (taking yesterday as a point of reference).

Logical?

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
Last time I checked, 40 degrees Celsius was 104 degrees Fahrenheit. 4 degrees Celsius is close to 40 degrees Fahrenheit (39.2). Is that what you meant? As far as twice as cold goes, it could be the same as half as warm. In an absolute sense zero degrees Celsius is 273 degrees above absolute zero, so half as warm would be 136.5 degrees above absolute zero, or -136.5 degrees Celsius. Or if twice as cold means that it feels twice as cold, you could base it on the body's perception of cold, whatever that is.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent quite a bit of time with mathmatical theorists who couldn't balance their own checkbooks.

I personally stopped paying attention when letters got mixed in there. Who had that brilliant idea?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Is that even possible to answer DaFiend?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if its possible. I thought i'd just watch you all squirm for a while. probably not possible.... Funny though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif