Why do most CPFer's prefer a reflector to optics?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do most CPFer\'s prefer a reflector to optics?

Just wondering. I notice with luxeon's more often then not this seems to be the case. I know the optics have a more unusual beam then a traditional flashlight in general,
and the only LUX reflectors i have are a Q-III and a HDS EDC, but i really like throw and some optics esp, the TIROS
type In the KL-1 seem to do a better job at throw. just curious. VDG

nexro

Enlightened
Re: Why do most CPFer\'s prefer a reflector to optics?

For me, it's because optics need to be centered properly and that is not very fun and can be tedious. Some lights with optics are also longer.

jtice

Flashaholic

For the most part, refoectors are alittle more effecient.
And produce a round beam, most optics have a square or star shaped spot.
Its not real noticable, but its there.

Also, I have never seen an optic that had good flood.
I use IMS reflectors alot, and love the beam, you get a nice round spot, AND a nice smooth flood.

AndyB

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why do most CPFer\'s prefer a reflector to opti

I have to agree with jtice. I like the nice round spot AND smooth flood of the IMS reflectors. The optics I've tried simply give a spot with hardly if any sidespill.

-AndyB

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love the beam quality with a reflector. I am very disappointed in the throw of my Inova XO3 with the TIROS.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

A reflector gives you the ability to have both a bright hotspot and a wide sidespill beam. In my experience (with the Longbow Micra, Inova T3, new KL1), an optical collimator results in a larger hotspot than what you can get with a comparably sized reflector, but with a limit on throw and the loss of nearly all sidespill.

The beam on the new Streamlight 4AA Luxeon Propolymer is nothing short of amazing. That light uses a Luxeon that is centered perfectly within a smooth parabolic reflector. I'm looking forward to receiving the Lux III insert for my Brinkmann Maxfire. That also uses a reflector.

Darell

Flashaholic

All told, there now exist more efficient optics than reflectors. BUT... so far I like the beam that a reflector offers over any optics I've seen. Optics can be insanely efficient - no two ways about it.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
For the most part, refoectors are alittle more effecient.
And produce a round beam, most optics have a square or star shaped spot.
Its not real noticable, but its there.

Also, I have never seen an optic that had good flood.
I use IMS reflectors alot, and love the beam, you get a nice round spot, AND a nice smooth flood.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're ever tweaking a light and wanna use a good optic, try to find the source for the optics in Gerber's LX 3.0, 'cause it's flood is beautiful. it's flood is almost on par with my LitFused Arc LS which uses one of the IMS reflectors.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Much better beam quality (reflectors), as a whole my opinion says.

Fewer artifacts (in some cases practically no artifacts), and a balanced combination of flood to throw.

The majority of optics based lights I have just MAGNIFY the artifacts, and give little to no sidespill. Too limited a role optics lights are my opinion says.

There are some exceptions (the old Arc LSH optics gave sidespill, as did the old style SF L1 optics). Still, I have never seen optics match the beam quality of a GOOD reflector.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened

I prefer reflectors in my LongBow Micras simply because I prefer a round hotspot instead of that funky squarish-diamond thing with the stock optic.

That and I like more flood.

Of course, one of my EDC lights is an Inova T3. I dig the TIROS optic.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like optics. but I'd rather there be a reflector and optics.
Micra, how is its throw?

-David

E

Emilion

I like my L5's reflector and T1's optic. Both of them are good.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Lambda 3W through modded minim*g reflector is nothing short of perfection! I tried it through them optic that came with my Madmax, and it had a square beam with little to no spill.

I MUCH MUCH prefer reflectors!!!

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened

T1 optic is awesome for throw. Out throws any reflectorized 1 cell light.

deranged_coder

Enlightened

My own (very limited) experiences with the reflectors vs. optics discussion is that if I want an even, flood type beam I use a flashlight with a reflector (e.g. KL4) but if I want minimal side-spill and good throw and do not mind the artifacts then I go with some sort of TIR optic (e.g. Inova X03, latest gen KL1). I suppose it really all depends on what you want.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I generally prefer a bit more flood rather than 'throw at all costs' so I guess I prefer the ideology of reflectors to that of most optics.

On the other hand, I don't personally dislike optics. I have an X0 and two of the Costco lights with optics and they are VERY ringy when shined on a close wall but then, I've never really got hung up on what the light looks like from 6 inches away. Across the room or across the backyard, the Inova and the Costcos both look fine and that's what really matters.

On throw though, I don't have any Lux 1 lights with reflectors that can keep up with the Inova or Costco lights when it comes to throw.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks! good points all. As I said I have only owned A Q-III
and a HDS reflectored(LED)light's. I too must make note about throw though. My KL-1's all throw better then my two reflectored light's one being 60 lumen's, so at least in a TIROS style light, it sure seem's to be better in comparable throw to reflectors of about the same size, while at the same time doing so with less power. (meaning i have learned here that for more throw the reflector must be bigger to throw farther, regardless of output power)
I too like the better quality beam of a reflector,
but none the less the NX05 in my ARC LSH-P has a great amount of spill AND throw for a 1 watt light. And using a large enough reflector to take advantage of a reflector's throw, especially when mated with a 1X123 body i use
in most applications, pretty much defeats the purpose
of carrying a "small bright" LED EDC.(aside from many fine custom, but hi drain LED bezel's But I could be wrong!)
VDG

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Most of my experience with optics and reflectors came from Minimag mods. After playing with modded 17mm and 20mm IMS, modded stock reflector(my own and Darkzero), Mcflood and Fraen...I think my favorite is the modded IMS 20mm since it gave a good intense spot and a little tighter(but still very useful)spill.

For me, the optics is only good because it requires no centering; otherwise, I would only use it for lights that have lower outputs.(for ex, my Miniminimag with MM lite)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

I remember thinking once that reflectors were not very good due to trying to add some crappy ones,salvaged from cheap lights, to various mods. My first eye opener came when I got a LitFuse mod with a reflector. I was hooked and never again thought of reflectors as crap. It seems as if the LED craze is kind of moving away from optics in general with more time being spent developing better reflectors. I wonder if optics will continue to develope also. Does anyone think that a better optic will someday be available?...Is it impossible to actually have an optic with zero artifacts and no problems centering the beam? I was always curious as to why it seemed as if more people were putting time and effort into making a better reflector and not a better optic. I really am not sure if I would call the TIROS optic an advance as personally I do not like the beam style but some do like it. Was the TIROS optic supposed to be an improvement on the FRAEN maybe with the more compact hot spot and little spill? Well regardless I like the reflector for the fact that it give a little of both spill and spot and does it very well for my uses.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've just installed a reflector in my mod/MiniMag-AA and I like the new "broader" beam over the hotspot. The extra spill come in handy when out walking or what every. On the other hand while helping a colleague with car trouble the hotspot of my Inova/X0 was great!

chiphead