v71 holster

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
how harsh is the v71 holster on the finish of an m3 using it on either end, will it scratch right off the bat, slowly cause wear over time, or no noticable wear at all?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

It is likely that there will be wear or at least the V71 spring will wear off into the HA of the M3.

I don't know many people here I can point you towards for user experience except Ken J Good.

The balance is towards function (retention) rather than form (marking the bezel, wearing it etc).

Al

code09

Enlightened
I recently just aquired a v71 as well, but it has not yet arrived. I dont understand how the springs hold the M3 in...can someone explain? To my understanding, it will hold M3 both bezel up and bezel down, but only the m3T bezel up right?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
2 x chromed metal stip springs which lie vertically inside the V71 provide the retention. They are quite abrasive to the HA111 but will not cause too much damage to the underlying Aluminum. However, if you use the V71 you will end up with a 'marked' light, and there is no way around it except by use of a nylon pouch or pocket carry! My experiences of a V71 are that it provides secure carry and quick deployment for those that need it, i.e, military, LEO's security etc. For the rest of us a nylon pouch is a better bet. Just MHO your mileage may vary?
Doug

code09

Enlightened
oh i see, thanks doug.

How about if i were to put a layer of electrical tape (or whichever type of tape) over the bottom part of the tailcap, or whereever the springs touch...will that prevent the ware on the HAIII?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Haven't tried that but suspect that the spring pressure will displace the tape! IMHO if you only insert the tail end in the V71 the problem would only affect that part of the light and the tailcap can be replaced relatively cheaply. Who knows if the tailcap becomes inoperable as a result of the holster then I suspect SF would replace it anyway under warranty?
Doug

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
I wouldn't use electrical tape, it would not survive for very long being sandwiched between two moving pieces of metal. All you would have left is a lot of adhesive residue gumming your light.

You could epoxy a delrin shim to the contact area, but it would affect the spring tension.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
moephiues,
Just forgot, Blackhawk do a nylon pouch for the M3 which uses an elastic retainer and a large opening which allows reasonably secure carry, quick deployment and minimal risk of marking your light. I've got one and use it occasionally for my M2 but still prefer the V70 or SOE pouch. The biggest problem with the V70 is that it wont accomodate the clickie tailcap for tail carry!
Doug

code09

Enlightened
okok, great, thanks for all the advice guys! I guess i'll just have to see how bad this "marking" is when the holster arrives...is it just the tailcap that gets marked? or maybe even a little bit of the body? Its ok with me if its just the tailcap, i have lots of those lying around

dougmccoy

Enlightened
moe,
The body shouldn't get marked as the shape of the V71 avoids the spring contacting the body. The bezel down carry would of course have the same result as the tail cap down carry and would result in similar damage to the bezel......it's your choice? I would add that if you are after a quick draw the bezel down carry is the way to go as your hand and thumb are already in the correct position. Heck, just experiment to see what you like!!

Doug

code09

Enlightened
ok ok, great, thats Doug, i have a M3T, so i think the only option i have is the bezel up

ksshooter

Newly Enlightened
My concern along with the scratching of the light is how high it sits? Is there any way you can modify the holster so it has a lower hold, offset the holster? Also where can I pick up some delrin like the above post was saying I figure this is the best way to go it wouldn't have to be very thick at all.

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Wish that SF could do something about the holster scraching the lihgt, otherwise it would be perfect! Also, has anyone seen the holsters from SF with spring steel clips?