EDC use and carry. Tethered or not? Poll

Happy with your purchase of Tri-Star 4D?

• Total voters

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't currently use a tether or lanyard for EDC, but I have never tried it, so perhaps I would like it if I did. Maybe I'll attach the lanyard to my A2 and give it a try. It seems to me that it'd be more of a hastle than a help for EDC, but I would attach the lanyard for many other uses, especially if I were sailing or flying or camping or hiking. That's why I have a lanyard. But for EDC? Eh. I'm not sure.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Berkley Point tethers for quite a while and find that, in general, I prefer tethers for EDC. The main reasons are securing the light and drawing the light. The first is so I don't loose it, the second I find that it's easier to get out of my pocket by just tugging the tether which can be quickly disconnected if needed.

-LT

deranged_coder

Enlightened
My L1 is clipped to my left-front pants pocket and has the lanyard attached. The other end of the lanyard is attached to one of my belt loops. The lanyard is long enough that I can pull the light out of my pocket and use it comfortably while knowing that if for some reason or another I let go of the light it will not drop to the ground. Having it attached to the lanyard also forces me to put it away in my pocket when I am done with it rather than maybe putting it down somewhere and then forgetting to pick it back up again. Since the lanyard is attached to the light via a spring clip I can just un-clip the light if the lanyard starts to get in the way of my using it (which has not happened so far).

EDC_L1_E2e.jpg

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I EDC my poor little unmodded Silitaire M*g. It's on a lanyard albeit a short one attached to my keyring.

It puts out very little light these days but it still is more useful than having 'no' light in emergencies.

Hmm, mods....

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my E2e/KL1 with no tethers as well. Although I should get one, esp since I almost lost my Q3 the other day when it slipped out of my pocket. Good thing I was able to go back to where I was and find it again!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my smaller lights QIII or smaller that I use a lot can be slipped around my neck on cord that will break away. Having the light near my head is the way I usually use it and a pocket teather would be to long.

greenLED

Flashaholic
small lanyard in pocket (Arc LS)
on keychain (Arc AAA)

I usually use a tether when I'm out in the field, 'cuz we're always out on rugged terrain and I'd hate to loose my lights.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I carry a Peak AAA on a short lanyard attached to my belt loop. It lets the light hang in my front pocket about an inch from the bottom. No mixing with change and other stuff at the bottom, easy draw and release.

Outdoor activities see use of a neck lanyard, otherwise it's a pocket clip or free floating.

Mark

KahveOrta

Newly Enlightened
My KL1+VG FB1 is on a neck lanyard that is shortened to about 6 inches. So it doesn't tangle with the keys and other stuff in the pocket, but can be unravelled easily when needed

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
deranged_coder said:
My L1 is clipped to my left-front pants pocket and has the lanyard attached. The other end of the lanyard is attached to one of my belt loops. The lanyard is long enough that I can pull the light out of my pocket and use it comfortably while knowing that if for some reason or another I let go of the light it will not drop to the ground. Having it attached to the lanyard also forces me to put it away in my pocket when I am done with it rather than maybe putting it down somewhere and then forgetting to pick it back up again. Since the lanyard is attached to the light via a spring clip I can just un-clip the light if the lanyard starts to get in the way of my using it (which has not happened so far).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like my setup, except that a U2 is involved and the lanyard is looped around the actual belt. The reasons are the same. Ain't losing my U2!! The McGizmo-style clip helps for those moments where I need to release the U2, and then I have to be extra careful not to forget it.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use a lanyard (yet) but I'm in the process of getting one for my edc, beacuse I LOST MY LAST EDC (lambda minilite) beacuse it fell out of my jacket pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
and I don't want to lose another one. Any suggestions on a good lanyard.

doug

Wrangler

Enlightened
I pulled a thin kangaroo leather band through the hole in the clip of my Q3, wrapped it around the lamps body and fixed the knot under the clip.
That way I can hang it around my neck or secure it around my wrist if needed.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lanyard most of the time. If you have a solid length of cord around your neck or secured to a belt loop(not just a clip, it will be impossible to lose. for those that don't want hanging a heavy light around there neck you can put it in a pocket of your shirt, and wehn working in such a way it could be a hazard put in your shirt, or through the belt loop.

holster's can come un-velcroed,unsnapped, or fall off.
No better way IMHO. VDG

chrisse242

Enlightened
Thats the way I carry my arc4:

newarc421.jpg

The lanyard is long enough to let me use the light, but short enough for not letting it drop to the ground when I have to let it go. I only detach it from the light if I use it as a headlight on my cap.

Chrisse

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Trouble with lanyards and uniform regulations over here so cant use one on my E2e which sits in a kydex sheath on my duty belt. However, I do carry an Arc AAA on a breakaway neck lanyard. My belt sheath was made by Eric of On Scene Tactical and serves supremely well as a secure carry.
BTW haven't seen many posts by Eric of late?
Doug

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have teh Mr. Tactical Lanyard-Gear keeper that Botach Tactical sells. I LOOOOVE it. I put the loop around and in-between the last grip ring and tail section of my G2Z and tighten it with one of those "thingies" off a surefire lanyard. I'll put a pick up in a bit... gotta wait for the "boss" to go to work!!!

Malpaso

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
diggdug13 said:
Any suggestions on a good lanyard.

doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Para cord. Cheap and strong.