Top Picks Under $20

DarkShadows

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone...brand new here. I've been researching lights for a couple of weeks now. I originally started with Quickbeam's website and found the CPF link there.

I want to own some premium lights some day but I think it would be more fun and a better learning experience to start at the bottom, well, not the very bottom. I still want quality, not junk. Like all of you, I understand and appreciate quality. It's funny, in all my years, I never realized that there was such a thing as a premium flashlight. Just didn't hang out in the right places, I guess! Well, I had heard of Mag-lite but they never really did anything for me. SF on the other hand, really lights my fire!

I always hated everything about those cheap, crappy flashlights that I used to get. I hated the flimsy switch, the distorted beam and trying to put new batteries in. It seemed that the light might not survive a battery change sometimes, and if it did, would it turn-on?

Anyway, I have seen a few sub-$20 lights that I will eventually get. I already bought the Tec 40 for $16 and I must say that I am impressed with its performance.

I have added the Infinity Ultra to my short list based on the posts that I have read so far. I also have the Brinkman LX on the list.

Is there anything else that you would consider a "must have" in the sub-$20 catagory? Right now, I am experimenting and learning, so I am open to bulb type and configuration...spot or flood, I don't care. I want to try them all. Then when it comes time to spend some real cash, I will *know* what I want.

Thanks.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Get the Nuwai Q3 for about $40 shipped. It's above your $20 limit, but you're better off with fewer quality lights than a lot of mediocre ones. The Q3 is a great value and one you can carry with you every day, so you can get a lot of use out of it.

Penguin

Enlightened
Under 20 dollars?

A Princeton Tec40 does well when you replace its PR bulb with a 3-cell krypton. The brightness/whiteness of the beam increase dramatically!
Another great buy for less than 20 dollars is the Photon Freedom, a small coinlight with a bunch of easy to use functions! I EDC a Turquoise/NV Green one on my keychain and get compliments whenever I use it.
Finally, add ~10 dollars more to your 20 dollar limit and you have the king of all non-HID spotlights at your local Costco, the THOR. It's a Thor, an EXTREMELY powerful spotlight that can shoot owls down at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Josh

theepdinker

Enlightened
Inova X-1 runs on 1 AA, the smallest spotlight you'll find, all spot/throw & no side spill.

Cmg infinity.

Another vote for the COSTCO $25.00 mighty Thor-X 10 million candle power full size spot light.

Theepdinker

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the LED category, you could get the Costco 2AA 1W Luxeon for 2 for $28 - you'd have to split it with someone to get one for under $20. I don't know if they're still at Costco but they could be an excellent value unless you got an "off" one.

Some are available from private parties and ebay for under $20, but I'd look for one still in a sealed package as they did vary somewhat and I wouldn't want a leftover one after someone had cherry picked before me.

If $20 doesn't include shipping, then the UK 4AA 1W Luxeon light at Briteguy seems to be very popular. The Gerber Trio (2AA light with 3 LEDs) is $20 at Battery Station .

If you're patient, then you can get a regular 2AA minimag (about $10 at Walmart?) and wait for CPFer Lambda to offer his $5 MJLED mod package again. This will produce a $15 LED light which appears to be very highly regarded.

UK has a bunch of lights under $20, for example here .

On the small end, the Dorcy 1AAA ($6 at Walmart) and it's bigger (but not brighter) cousin the 1AA Dorcy ($10 at Target) are liked by many.

DaveT

Enlightened
KevinL's $1.25 Photon knockoffs are great value.
UK's 4AA eLED is a solid light.
And of course, seconding other recommendations - the Infinity Ultra, and I also suggest you depart your limit for a QIII - great value.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The only ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned are the PT Attitude and CMG/Gerber Sonic.

Geoff

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tech Blast and Rage are a lot of fun for under $20. Also get some Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries and a smart charger.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Brightguy's price on the UK 2AA eLED is $20 I think. This is a superb light, with full regulation, durable construction, takes 4 AA batteries so it is inexpensive to operate, and will run on lithiums or NiMH.

For a premium light, I think this is the best value in this price range, depending of course what you are looking for.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy AAA 1-LED has been mentioned once or twice already, but for $6 at Walmart, it is an absolute must-have bargain light and worth repeating.

Also, headlamps have not been touched on much yet. Quality LED headlamps start around $30-$40, but you can snag a Gerber Tracer combo pack at www.rei-outlet.com for under $20. Headlamps are the most underrated type of flashlight and I wouldn't be without one.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
It isn't available quite yet, but LRI's new Photon Freedom Micro will be a nice coin cell-powered keychain light with variable output levels and 50% more output than current Nichia 5 mm LEDs. Should be around $20. Read about it at the bottom of this page:

Pocketlights report from Shot Show 2005

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are planning to call this one something like "Freedom to the Max" or "Freedom Max" and since it is a new model, probably also a bit more money. $25-$30 would be my guess.

flashlite

Enlightened
Wow DarkShadows, looks like you're off to a good start. The sub-$20 category is my favorite and the Tec 40 and Infinity Ultra are two of my favorite sub-$20 lights. My other favorite is the UK 4AA eLED. That's a must have IMO.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 more vote for the UKE 4AA eLed from Brightguy! Best bang for buck at that price i reckon...

Else I would also suggest a Tektite Splashlite Led, Batterystation has them for $20, and I like it cos its small and light, with a long runtime. You might also wanna take a look at the Eternalights, the Derringer I think is pretty cheap to start off with, IIRC.

Oh... and 1 more thing that everyone forgot... WELCOME!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Enjoy your stay here DarkShadows! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
One not mentioned is the Dorcy Boss 4AA.

It is essentially a very porky Tec-40, with a switch. The lanyard holds a spare bulb!

Cost about $6 (or less!). Great inexpensive light.

Bob

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the link ever gets fixed, you can get a $20 of $60 purchase coupon at Sharper Image. Then you can buy 2 of their $30 1 watt Luxeon lights for $40 or $20 each. This is an excellent light which approaches the capabilities of the Nuway QIII for less than half the price (no shipping added to the $20, unlike the $40 + shipping Nuwai).

Before everyone jumps on me, the Nuwai IS nicer, but this is pretty close for everything I need to do, and with the coupon, this is a better deal.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you can find one, the eveready arcwhite (ccfl/incan) is a nice dual purpose light for under $20. You can swap out the bulb for a 0.75A krypton for brighter output, I tend to use the CCFL most of the time and the incan for when I need to blast something with light at a distance. There are a lot of rechargeable spotlights out there around $20 which would be nice to have for an occasional use. You can round up your collection with a useful headlamp of sorts, even an inexpensive rayovac ~$6 2AA incan headlamp can be useful for hands free work, and there are a bunch of other headlamps both incan and LED for under and around $20. I used to not even think of using a headlamp until I got one cheap at target for $4 and used it for a day. Even a cheap one can be useful to augment or replace a flashlight when working on stuff or carrying stuff in dark places.

meat

Newly Enlightened
For ~$30, I think the Surefire G2 is hard to beat. It is more than $20, but so is the Q-III, which is another great flashlight for the price.