Help Needed - Cronked Nuwai Q3

SJACKAL

Enlightened
My friend dropped his Nuwai Q3 and the light went crazy after the knock on it's head. No visible damages as the light drop while in its cushioned pouch but when it's turned on, it will flicker wildly and goes off and on. Sometimes it won't turn on and when I shake the light, it flickers about and goes off. When I shake it, I can heard a sound inside the light, something went loose I suspect.

It seems that the light still works, but I suspect something's loosen or broken inside.

Can anyone please tell me how do I open up the Q3 properly? Boil it? Can anyone point me to any thread on the Q3 with the 'exploded' view?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
aim a hairdryer on it for about 2-3 minutes. Then use a piece of cloth to cover your hand, open the bezel head by twisting it, it should come off easily. Remove the battery from the lights first. If you want to be more safe, just try to open it every 30seconds of hot air.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Check the switch assembly in the tail first.

This has happened to me twice. The first time, I tightened up the plastic cap in the tail, and it worked fine after that. The second time, it died for good. I thought it was the circuit board or LED, because fiddling with the switch did nothing.

I sent it milkyspit for an upgrade, and he reported the board and emitter worked fine. So it must have been the switch.

jchock

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I'd guess it's the copper spring that connects the body to the board. If yours isn't one that has the retaining ring inside (you'll have to open it no matter what to do this), your battery/board may have bounced enough to mess it up.

Warren/ViKi (etendue) made finding #4 about this ring and flickering. Search for it or try this URL (my first attempt at the URL thing here...) ViKi finding #4 about Q3 copper rings and flickering

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Reporting back. I got busy and only managed to repair the light today. Indeed, its the problem with the copper spring ring mentioned by jchock. Its a really easy fix, I also added a oring to the tailswitch and it's now able to stand on tail for candlemode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jchock

Newly Enlightened
Glad it's working again. I dropped mine once and it did the same thing. I noticed that when it didn't work right, I could hear a slight metal rattle from within. Sure enough, it was the copper spring...