My L4 and McGizmo 2-stage switch

cognitivefun

Enlightened
How easy will it to be for me to install the McGizmo 2-stage switch onto my new L4 (both ordered and on the way to me)

1 x McE2S LOTC two stage switch DIY Kit (McE2S LOTC 2)
LOTC Resistor Value 22 ohms
McE2S Rubber Boot Value

Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Once you have assambled the kit, you just screw it on the light after removing the original tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do not know if the assambly is difficult, my minions are doing this for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

bernie

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think that if it were too difficult to assemble, you should be able to find someone to do it for you for a nominal fee. Then it would really be a drop in, or in this case, a drop on. .

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just done this conversion with the exact same parts to a spare Z57 to use with my L4. The hardest part is removing the retaining ring on top of the switch boot. Unless yours is loose or you have a spanner, chances are you'll gouge it up using needlenose or other makeshift spanners.

My experience may not be representative but I'm not too impressed with the action. It is imprecise and the transition from low to high is unreliable. Sometimes it goes right to high and sometimes it goes to dim and then out. Also, it seems to want to be unscrewed fairly far from bottom to allow the two stage action. I often have to push it down all the way a few times to "prime" the switch then I can reliably get the low mode.

The McE2S in an Aleph switch functions perfectly. I just don't get that in the Z57 though.

The low mode is definitely a useful capability though.

Wilkey

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Ginseng....haven't heard that happening before....may be the O-ring is hanging up, maybe some lube would help.

Cognitivefun....DYI kit is pretty easy, I have 2 both in Z-52s not Z-57s and they work perfect.....The links in page 4 of this thread should help.

Aloha

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You can buy an Aleph TK switch from any Aleph vendor and screw it on your L4, and you are set.
bernhard

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Is the Aleph TK switch an easier solution? Does it do the same thing as the McGizmo switch?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling,

I understand your point but why would I spend money on another part when I have an unused part that I wish to convert to a different capability in an economical fashion. It just doesn't make sense for me.

Wilkey

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
Is the Aleph TK switch an easier solution? Does it do the same thing as the McGizmo switch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cog.....
The Aleph TK (turn-key = preassembled) is a complete switch all you do is just screw it onto the light.

Take a look at the link that I posted...it gives really good instructions on how to do it....as Ginseng said if you are not careful you can scratch the Z-57 ring with a needle-nose pliers trying to get it open.

If you think you would rather go with a turn-key (pre-assembled) switch and you did not <font color="red">open </font> the parts bag, contact me maybe we can work something out where I can buy your kit....I picked up my kit for about $30.00 + shipping..... I was going to order another kit next monthfor my E1/KL1-SG

Aloha

cognitivefun

Enlightened
which Aleph TK should I buy? I want the 22ohm, but what about trip, flat top etc.? I assume they all work, any suggestions?

Bruddah, aloha, you have mail!

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Just as an FYI, my McGizmo two-stage switch seems to work perfectly.

So I am unsure if the problem as described above my Ginseng is an isolated case or not.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ginsing,
Plain and simple, your converted Z57 is not performing as it should. It sounds like you have something in the ground path that is blocking electrical contact and it also sounds like there is some mechanical interference. These switches are actually quite simple in function and there is no magic to overcome. If you would like to send the switch to me when I get back from Maui, I would be happy to take a look at it and get it functioning more reliably. The adaptability to the Z57 was a consideration in the initial design but not a priority. The switch "guts" were optimized for the Z52 geometry; at least as much as was possible.

For you guys who are using the Z57 shell, I hope you are using the boot that came with it and not the McE2S boot?!?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Wilkey, I was responding to ACMarina's post ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie