G2 Nitrolon- The Unsung Hero

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first decent light was the G2, the thing amazed me when I first turned it on and continues to do so every time I hit the switch. As I read through posts I see how often people count on this little powerhouse in daily activities, or just to keep beside the bed.
I EDC mine as well as my L4, I find the G2 hard to beat when it comes to throw from a little package. Another thing that I really lik about it is the Nitrolon material, here in Canada a cold light is no pleasure to handle, especially at night. Nitrolon never has that "cold" feel to it.
I just had to get that out.
Also I keep the LOLA in it due to many posts stating the HOLA has more flood but the throw is about the same.
Any other G2 fans out there?

Malpaso

Enlightened
It was my "first decent light" as well. It is an EDC, at least in the winter, in the outside sleeve pocket of my parka.

Robban

Enlightened
I've never had the pleasure of handling one. Does anyone have a pic of it next to some other lights (such as an L4, PM6, QIII as these are lights I own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )? I haven't gotten a feel of it's size yet, on its own it looks huge :p

mokona2

Enlightened
My two G2-YL were my first SF incandescents. They were intended as Christmas gifts, but I found that my intended recipients had different requirements for emergency flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I have since added Kroll clickie switches and other SF incandescents to my growing collection, but my G2s (w/ P60s) are always handy to have just in case. Why have a spares carrier when you have a couple of G2s close by? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for Nitrolon, it's hard to beat. I have a P112C on my SA-XD pistol and the lighter body makes it balance just a bit better.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Hope this pic will do for size comparison:

E1LSizeComparison.jpg

From L-R: Surefire SF123A battery, Surefire E1L Outdoorsman, Surefire E2e-HA Executive Elite, Surefire G2-OD Nitrolon, Streamlight Twin-task 2L
(You can just see the Inova X5 and the Brinkmann Maxfire LX in the background)

rgc

Newly Enlightened
I love my two G2s. The first was a gift from my best friend and I still use it every day with the original P-60 lamp in it. The second I got for a backup and now it is set up with the P-61 in it. I don't know about other P-60s or 61s, however, my P-61 easily out throws the P-60 by quite a bit.

rgc

ps. I also bought one for my brother-in-law.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a G2, but I have certainly thought about it - great performance at a reasonable price point.

I probably would not put the P61 lamp in it myself despite the high performance - I am just uncomfortable with the ability of polymer body lights to remove that much heat from the lamp and batteries when run under those conditions. 123 cells start to really warm up at those current draws.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a G2 last night and can not believe the throw, I was lighting up houses way down the road. I also like the tint of the beam.

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
deranged_coder said:
Hope this pic will do for size comparison:

[image] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/DerangedCoder/CandlePowerForums/E1LSizeComparison.jpg [/image]

From L-R: Surefire SF123A battery, Surefire E1L Outdoorsman, Surefire E2e-HA Executive Elite, Surefire G2-OD Nitrolon, Streamlight Twin-task 2L
(You can just see the Inova X5 and the Brinkmann Maxfire LX in the background)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. A bit on the bulky side for me personally.

And is it just me or is it just plain ugly? :p

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2(blk) and love it as well. I want to find a shotgun mount for one.(Anyone know of one?)

I have a G2Z with the HOLA in it and don't really notice the heat issue. I guess if you are going to have it on continuously it will get hot. But the max time you'd have it on is 20min, then you'd have to change the batts.

Geologist

Enlightened
I like my G2 - with the Luxeon III drop that I bought, I can toss it around without thinking about it. My only concern is the lack (on current G2 models) of the lock out tail cap. According to the 2005 SF catolog, the new G2s will have a lock out tail cap.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Robban said:
Thanks. A bit on the bulky side for me personally.

And is it just me or is it just plain ugly? :p

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep the G2 in my jacket pocket. It is fairly unobstrusive for me that way.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... oops, I mean beholder... yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light. One of the best. That Nitrolon is just good stuff. Put a glass lens and clickie in it and it's even better. Run a Pila 168S and it's free lumens. Don't worry about the heat. The Nitrolon can take it. Even with a P61, it'll get get very warm but the Nitrolon can handle it.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer a light with the same total ouput, but a little more spill and less throw, check out the Brinkman Maxfire for just $20. I'm quite pleased with it's output. I have the rechargeable ($25) and think it's great. It comes with a clicky tail switch. It's also made of the Nitrolon material. The replacement lamp modules are only $5 shipped.

The G2 sounds very nice and I'll probably consider one if I decide I "need" more throw than the Maxfire. Keep singing it's praises.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine so much that I asked Surefire to make some special color combinations for me. I think it was worth all the extra money I paid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3Gs.jpg