MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I may borrow Phil_B's quote about the MJLED from Lambda :

[ QUOTE ]
Phil_B said:
Mine arrived today(UK). Fitted in seconds,but smiled for hours. Phil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That just about sums it up for me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK it was more than a few seconds - but not much - as I procrastinated about where to cut the MJLED leads. In the end I decided to line the emitter up with the orignal incandescent bulb's filament and cut the LED legs to where the bulb's legs ended. So the MJLED actually stuck up much further when fitted - until I discovered that the LED could be pushed further in - so I did - so in the end the fit was not that "precision" and the MJLED does still sit a bit high showing some leg - but that's OK with me.

What's it like?
MJLED_sizes.jpg

size comparison - I know it's a stoopid photo - since the MJLED is in a regular MiniMag 2AA.......

What's more interesting is the head-on view -
MJLED_hds.jpg

remember this is in the off position so the MJLED is sitting much higher further into the reflector than when at its optimum focus point. At least looking here one can just see that it is not just any MiniMag......

More telling is the way it works:
Compared to standard MiniMag 2AA - both with fresh AA alkaline batteries.
MJLED_mMag.jpg
MJLED_mMag2U.jpg

Compared to a S1801 1watt Luxeon on 1x CR123A
MJLED_S1801.jpg
MJLED_S1801_2U.jpg

in use the S1801 1 watt is slightly brighter with a bigger usable hotspot and a better tint tending toward pink'ish - the MJLED has a hint of green.

MXDL 3watt from eBay also fresh AAA alkaline batteries
MJLED_MXDL.jpg
MJLED_MXDL2U.jpg

Lastly as a reference the legendary ArcAAA -
MJLED_Arc.jpg
MJLED_Arc2U.jpg

unfortunately the ArcAAA is simply blown-away by the MJLED.

$10 shipped for the MJLED kit (with pre-drilled reflector and mineral glass "lens"), and the MiniMag cost under $9 when I bought it - gives me a really good bright LED flashlight that has a long run time......

Seriously what's not to like?

This is one of the all time bargains for me.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
Agreed - great "all time bargain"
Thanks Lambda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Phil_B

Enlightened
I'm running mine on Lithiums and it really screams, given the runtime I expect.
Just add a kroll switch and as Vincent said "What's not to like?"
Great review,btw,with some incisive quotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
Lithiums make a huge imrovement in output. At $6 shipped for the MJLED if you don't mind drilling a 1/4" hole yourself, it's an amazing bargain. Glad I ordered 4 so I could give a couple to friends.

It would be nice to see a beamshot with lithiums for comparison. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said: I'm a bit confused, though. You're running the MJLED on alkalines? I thought it was best run with lithium cells. Just wondering.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am definitely running the MJLED on regular (cheapo supermarket) Alkalines. I probably would not have bought it unless it ran well on alkalines.

This question was asked in Lambda's thread - and his responding post

The MJLED Kit I got is what Kevin/Lambda called the Chapter II - please see this post by Lambda

In this post Lambda showed the MJLED Ch II on alkalines whooping the first MJLED on Lithiums!

...and I do think my results speak for themselves?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Although lithium cells are definitely much more expensive than alkalines, in typical use, 35 hours of runtime to 50% brightness would last most people one or two years. The additional cost of the lithium cells would disappear but the greater brightness would continue to delight with each use. JMHO.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknowVT, thanks for the beam shots. This finally convinces me that the outupt of the MJLED in the mini mag type light is much better than the stock bulb. I like it. I'll be getting some of the next batch (if there is a next batch) to install in my 3 for $7.99 2AA lights with clicky tail caps from ****'s Sporting Goods. These would be great lights with the MJLED kits.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
Although lithium cells are definitely much more expensive than alkalines, in typical use, 35 hours of runtime to 50% brightness would last most people one or two years. The additional cost of the lithium cells would disappear but the greater brightness would continue to delight with each use. JMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that sounds right - BUT has anyone actually done a comparison between the Chapter II MJLED on lithiums vs. Alkalines - or are we just assuming the greater brightness - because that's what we'd normally expect?

I unfortunately do not have another MJLED (or any lithium AA's) to do a comparison.

However - I'd say that a white beam at least in the brightness ballpark of a good 1watt Luxeon - seems pretty good to me - how much brighter can the MJLED ch II get?

[ QUOTE ]
Phil_B said: btw,with some incisive quotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
But of course, I only quote from the most incised people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just for grins I thought I'd take a picture of the MiniMag heads with the reflector set to "optimum" for both stock MiniMag and the MJLED - ie: the brightest most concentrated hot-spot on a wall about 8 feet away -

(for the pic I set the lights to optimum focus - then removed the batteries, taking care not to disturb the heads)

Shown with a fixed focus S1801 1watt Luxeon (1x CR 123)
MJLED_hdsOpt2.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:
This link has some actual numbers for output:
MJLED review here

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks for the link and numbers.

It would seem that the review may have been on the original earlier MJLED, and not the Chapter II MJLED - which Lambda himself said on plain Alkalines whooped the earlier version on Lithiums.... (see quotes and links in my post above)

In Lambda's MJLED Chapter II thread

I'll borrow the quote from Bullzeyebill

[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
I have two of the second batch, and the one I set up in my minmag is really bright. 400lux at one meter with my LM631. Have not tried Lithium AA's. I understand that batterystation.com, has Lithium AA's that show 1.8 volts. That would be bright. Not sure about heat though. The MJLED is one efficient little bugger.
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

400lux at 1 metre on plain old Alkalines?

EDIT to add -
Lambda's own annotated beamshot hotlinked here that corroborates/confirms the 400lux of the MJLED ch II on Alkalines -
mjled100.jpg

Does seem significantly higher than the 250lux of the reviewed on Lithiums......

So the same question -
HOW much brighter is the Chapter II (later) versions of the MJLED on Lithiums over alkalines, please?
measurements or comparative beamshots?

Talking about beamshots -
here's the obligatory "JugShot" - this posed a bit of difficulty since the MiniMag is quite long and wouldn't fit in the jug with enough room for a meaningful angle coverage shot.

So in the end I taped the light(s) pointing down into the jug and taped the protractor upsidedown -

So these JugShot photos are actually upsidedown (especially for Aussies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
MJLEDjug.jpg
MiniMagJug.jpg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to have to get some of those. A friend of mine has an old minimag that he takes with him when he deploys (Bosnia, Iraq etc) It fits perfectly in his vest and always works.

I'll see him in a month or so and the MJ would be the perfect upgrade for his trusty minimag. Yep, have to get me some of those when they become available.

mykall

Enlightened
I am having problems with mine. I just got mine yesterday
and cliped the prongs to about 1/2 " but it won't stay
in. The prongs are much further apart than the original
MAG incan bulb and because of this they seem to have to be
angled in. I can get it to work once with the head screwed
on but not a second time. The wider angle seems to affect
their ability to lock in place Am I missing something?

This is frustrating because output in VERY impressive
and I'm only using alkies.

Thanks

MB

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mykall said:
I am having problems with mine. I just got mine yesterday
and cliped the prongs to about 1/2 " but it won't stay
in. The prongs are much further apart than the original
MAG incan bulb and because of this they seem to have to be
angled in. I can get it to work once with the head screwed
on but not a second time. The wider angle seems to affect
their ability to lock in place Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2" is quite a lot of leg.

Lambda's own instructions suggests 3/8" - so perhaps the LED legs just aren't being pushed down/in far enough?

The photo shown in the instructions - hotlinked here:
mjled2.jpg

seems to show the LED almost flush with the base.

So are those crimps/flats on the legs preventing you from pushing the LED further down?
- if so, a bit of gentle filing to smooth off of the protrusions might do it?

Good luck - it sounds as though you shouldn't have any major problems......

wwglen

Enlightened
I don't have measurements of the light output but based on my observations with the 2nd gen MJLEDs.

New AA Alklines. 60-65mA
New AA Lithiums. 130-135mA

They appear about twice as bright on lithiums.

Also as the alkline batteries discharge the brightness should drop quickly as they are right on the edge (falling edge) of the forward voltage of the LEDs.

I didn't measure the current on rechargables but the light still gave off usefull but dim light.

wwglen