Which SF as a gift?

Streak

Enlightened
I have been asked to choose an SF product as a gift for me.
Budget is around $200.
I have an old P6, SL Scorpion, Pila, Magcharger in incan.
I have the L4, Q3, ARC LS4+, Micra and others in LED.

I do like the idea of LED based products and preferably rechargeable because we pay at best $4 and at worst $8 for CR123's here.

The L2 looked like a great idea but it cant take a Pila cell.
L7 looks good but it only has one output level.
A2 is interesting but CR123 only.
I guess I could do the U2 ultra if I paid in the extra $70.

Away from LED I could also do the 9AN and pay in the extra $58?

Any other ideas given what I have already?

Streak

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the U2. You're already up in the $200+ range, just go all the way and never look back. The U2 is truly the ULTIMATE LED light. Forget the L7. You'll get a smaller, more versatile, lithium ion powered light in the U2 WITH the ability to fall back to CR123s should the need arise. I haven't used that fallback yet since I have enough 18650 cells, but it's there the day I need it, and that is a Good Thing(tm).

The 9AN is fine if what you want is a two-stage rechargeable light, apart from the fact that it's big.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do the new E2L. It can take the 168s IIRC.
If I had the choice I think I would go for the U2 though. Get a box of 123 cells from the BatteryStation, or buy some of JSBurlys rechargeable 123 cells and a charger.

Just a thought.

mut

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have the L4, it is a great close and medium range light and all the others you mention are good medium range lights. Maybe something that behaves in a whole differnt manner, You have goog lights but they can't do something that the resonably priced C3 can do. You are covering more bases this way.

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks for the further input.
C3 is nice but I would not use it because of battery costs so if I went that route I would look at the rechargeable 9AN, not as bright as the C3 with high output lamp but brighter with the standard lamp and with the option of a 20 lumen low output.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mut said:
You could do the new E2L. It can take the 168s IIRC.
If I had the choice I think I would go for the U2 though. Get a box of 123 cells from the BatteryStation, or buy some of JSBurlys rechargeable 123 cells and a charger.

Just a thought.

mut

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't recommend running the U2 on 2xR123. That combo will deliver 7.4V nominal, exceeding the Vf of the Luxeon and drop the U2 into direct-drive mode. It's both bad for the Luxeon since it is being overdriven, and it disables the lower light levels, the primary feature of the U2. It runs best on Pila 168A or 18650 unprotected lithium ion (my setup).

The U2 is a fine light that was dogged by controversy at launch and its price tag is a little bit on the high side (understandable, but not when its detractors are buying $300 custom lights themselves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

The C3 can be outfitted with two Pila 150S so you can run both 105/200 lumen lamps guilt free. You can also scale up to the KT2 Turbohead with N2/MN15/MN16 all on Pila 150S cells for longer throw. Of course there is always the incremental cost of the Pilas, where the 9AN has it all built in.

code09

Enlightened
when i first read the title of this thread, i thought you were looking for a SF to give someone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I was gonna say e2l for me! hahaa.....u lucky *******

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL,
You are right.

I should have stuck with the JSBurly r123 that are 3V. It states on his site that it is safe for the ARC LS, so I would think it would be fine in the U2 also.
Just a thought.

mut

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 9an is nice, but you'd also need the beamshaper (another 30 bucks or so) to make it useful, otherwise the donut hole on low is annoying. 8an may also be useful.

Ask for discounts from the dealer, you may not get it, but you'll only get it if you ask for it.

L2 is good, the low is actually pretty bright, so you may not burn through cells too fast.

So Surefire won't send the cells for 1.25 to you? An E1E and 100 bucks worth of cheap 123's would last a long time.