E1L and E2L Outdoorsman

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if these lights have the same beam pattern as the new generation KL1? What about brightness. Found some at Tadgear.com and they look pretty cool being a 3W and all.

nexro

Enlightened
Yes they are.
The E1L and E2L are just KL1 heads on E1e and E2e body respectively /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Yep, they use the latest generation KL1 heads. The Surefire website does not have them listed yet but you can download the PDF version of their 2005 catalog to get the official specifications.

greenLED

Flashaholic
hmmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif I wonder what a Mc2Es switch would do to these beauties...

Will the KL1 take Pila batts? Maybe I don't "need" an L4 after all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
Yes they are.
The E1L and E2L are just KL1 heads on E1e and E2e body respectively /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that it took SureFire this long to offer these models. How long has it been since the first KL1 was introduced????

I am fortunate enough to own a 3rd Gen. KL1; which is a 1 watt Luxeon High Dome, running at much brighter than the original KL1, but less than the current KL1.

And, it actually has a good amount of spill light. I think SureFire should start making these again, or some equivalent using a Luxeon III, to give people a choice of more throw/less runtime, vs. somewhat less light, longer runtime, and a, IMHO, much superior light output, in terms of a balance between throw and spill light.

But SureFire doesn't seem to me to be the sort of company to take a step back to an earlier production model; even if, as I suspect, there would be a great deal of demand, once people saw a side by side comparison.

Judging by the number of barely used 4th Gen, KL1's I've seen for sale in the B/S/T section, I think I'm not the only one who thinks the concentrated spot beam of current production KL1's is far less than ideal.

And I know there are people who consider the current KL1's an excellent LED flashlight. Going to an underdriven Luxeon III, with it's better tint record, was a good decision. I disagree with the choice of optics. Why not use a reflector, like the Q III? It gives a beam very nearly identical to a SureFire incandescent, which SureFire describes as 'the perfect beam; always in focus'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif