Surefire Batteries

txkaratedude

Newly Enlightened
I'm kinda new and want to know if Surefire batteries are better than the off the shelf or other generic batteries availible. Do they last long enought to warrant the higher cost? Do they give a brighter light? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Terry

m1match

Newly Enlightened
Surefire batteries are not really higher cost, they are much less than Duracell or Eveready. On this forum, most people have had very good results with Duracell, Eveready, Surefire and Battery Station 123 batteries. The Durcell and Eveready are the most expensive, Surefires are around $1.25 each, and Battery Station are around $1 each. Most would also say there is not a whole lot of performance difference among these brands. Most recommend staying away from the cheaper Asian generic no name brand batteries. These may not have proper venting, thermal, or discharge protection. Check out this thread for what can happen when a defective battery fails!!!

CPF thread on a CR123 caused fire/blowup

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find I have much better luck with runtime with Surefire batteries, I have tried the duracell ultras and they seemed to give out rather quick.
I use my light in short bursts, that may be the difference. I see most runtime tests are done with continous usage. The duracell Ultas gave me a week of work and play, 2 weeks with the Surefires.
Cost, Duracell Ultra are $9.99 each here in Canada.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif, A short drive to Toronto I get 2 Surefires for $7.00. Not much of a thinker for me.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Surefire do produce great and quality lights, but my experience with their batteries had been less than satisfatory. Out of a box of 12, I had 2 pairs that died in my light(G2Z). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

First time I saw this happening, I thought it was me who had lost count of time and forgotten to change battery. But then the second time happened when I had only used it for less than half an hour(more like 10-15 min), and it just went dead next morning.

Ever since then, I didn't bother with the rest of the box, and only use them for in home usage only(in house light). The batteries expiration date is 05-2013, and it happened sometime in late 2004. Since then, I switched to other 123, I had no similar occurance happening to my G2Z. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it dangerous to use a battery that goes dead so quickly?

I would be really curious to see the results of a bunch of Surefire batteries being tested for short-circuit current.

Scott

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone through dozens of Surefire batteries and they have performed as well or better than all of the other brands I've used. No complaints here.

-Keith

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had more problem with SF batt's then any other. 4 outta 12 died in a short time, and run time tested lower then energizer, universal and duracell's. I did this testing with surefire 1 and 2 cell light's.
batt station seemed to be the equal of all and do not "shutdown" like SF batt's tend to do.

I recommend:
Batt station
universal
duracell

Stay a way from SF's the cost maybe low, but when you have a batt that's protection is so screwy it will end the batteries life 17% of the time, it's not a saving's VDG