You can read all about binning here:
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/AB21.PDF

And this is a visual approach to the color bins:
ColorBins.png

Timson

Enlightened
I Know this one.........

No1) X1 refers to the colour tint.
Colour tint preference is a subjective thing.
This is a nice pure white one - About 6300 degrees Kelvin.

No2) YO ... Again the colour tint. This one is right at the blue end of the white colour scale - About 8000 Degrees Kelvin.

Tim.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, X1 is not what i would think as pure white color. The pure white would be WO. Among every single X1 color bin that i tried, it is greenish white, still nice though since the green is only a tad to the white.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
good chart photonfanatic, thanks. ditto to the others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, what the heck is this Luxeon, can you please tell me if it's much chop?

Luxeon part number:
LXHL-LW3C

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've become rusty, so will ask a really stupid question. The Vf bin ratings have been a constant for Lux 1W, Lux III, and the 5W's. The Vf results in an If (forward current.) I was overwhelmed with the speculation with what was really going on when the Lux III's arrived, and failed to stay up-to-speed. At the specified Vf for the 1W's, they would result in an approx If of 350Ma and yield the flux/color bin numbers, or more accurately, driven at 350mA, they would yield the flux/color. When a Lux III is binned, what typical current results from the Vf bin?????

(Yeah, I know bin ranges are wide and Vf drops over time, etc, but could use a summary! I know the Lux III's are far more robust to the point of taking an Amp just fine with appropriate heatsinking. I find low Vf III's a joy! Help!)

Larry

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon IIIs are binned at 700mA, though they are rated to be driven at up to 1A, with a reduced lifespan.