New Peak Shasta

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a new brass Peak Shasta 1 led. I'm a little disapointed with it considering the cost. I thought it would be brighter than it is, although it's bright enough for what I wanted. It looks to be a little dimmer than my Infinity Ultra although it's a close call. What I'm mainly disapointed with is the color. It's supposed to be their new "snow" color led but it has a decidedly blue tint to it. Otherwise it fullfills the role I needed it for which was a small pocket light for simple chores like finding a key hole in the dark and such. I was hoping it would outshine my maglite solitaire but it's still a cool little light.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, Peak will refund your purchase if you bought directly from them. I think they give you 30 days.

I too am somewhat disappointed with the Peaks I have purchased. I prefer brighter, more floody lights. You can order "ultra power" versions of most of their lights by emailing their custom design shop (or whatever its called). The ultra power lights are a little brighter than the standard and high power flavors.

best regards

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a chance to compare it with the solitaire and it is actually quite a bit brighter. For it's size it puts out enough light for me, I just assumed it would be brighter. I don't know why really as it only has an N cell. I just wish it was a "snow" white as advertised instead of the typical blue glow. I'll keep it simply for it's small size.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Peak 3 LED Hi Power Snow LED 1AA (Matterhorn, I think)

The light is nice, reasonably well made, but the 'snow' LED's look the same as any white Nichia LED to me. Makes me wonder what the regular ones look like....

I wish now (that it's too late...) that I had shipped it back, and gotten one with whiter LED's, but I have enough things to take up my time.

It was a borderline issue; had they been just a little more blue, I would have been motivated to return/exchange it.

Not as bright as I thought a 'Hi Power' 3 LED would be, and I wish the LED's weren't recessed so much; it cuts down the spill light quite a bit.

I think the LED's are underdriven; or certainly not overdriven 'enough'. With a small light like this, I think output is more important than runtime. I can always carry an extra battery.

Now that they are no longer available; I'm glad I got one when I did. It's not as good as the advertizing led me to believe, but isn't tht what advertizing does....?

Nice form factor, although I don't really have a good utility for it, as yet.

Looking at Peak's product line, before the recent cutbacks, it's not surprising that quality control isn't as good as it should be.

I think Peak tried to offer too much, too quickly, and quality suffered.

For all I know, my flashlight, and yours, may simply have Nichia white LED's in it, due to assembly error, mislabelling, mishandled order, etc., etc.

Niteowl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TRC said: .......I wish the LED's weren't recessed so much; it cuts down the spill light quite a bit.......For all I know, my flashlight, and yours, may simply have Nichia white LED's in it, due to assembly error, mislabelling, mishandled order, etc., etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a 3LED snow AAA proto and I wish my leds were more recessed as I don't care for the halo effect. Mine are even with the end.

I'm willing to bet you do have the standard white leds. My snows are very nice, no blue. Give them a call, I believe they'll fix 'em for you.

Mark

ob1

Newly Enlightened
I have a 1led and 3 led 1AAA Matterhorn. I EDC the 3led 1AAA around my neck attached to a hollowed out 550 cord. I love it. It replaced my Dorcy 1AAA and I ordered 2 more of the 3LED 1AAA peaks before they disappear forever