value of multi-led Peaks?

vikingboy

Newly Enlightened
Now the multi-LED Peak lights are discontinued, are they becoming more valuable? Im just wondering if its worth picking them up if I can find them. Are they likely to go the same way as Arc lights?

davidra

Enlightened
I think so. They have made some lights that are different....the stainless steel lights, especially the McKinley....the three LED Matterhorn, which I use now instead of my Arc.....given the uncertainty of companies on this board, it may depend on whether or not they can actually become successful in the long run, but they make good lights, and some will never be made again.....

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
vikingboy:

I think it works like this: flashlight company stops making lights, flashaholics start trying to get discontinued lights, owners start thinking they can cash in on the demand for these lights, boom...price skyrockets on those lights.

BTW, I have three McKinleys: one brass with green hi-power LEDs, one brass with white regular LEDs, and my favorite in black ano with blue LEDs, plus a double-ender body in black ano which I keep my blue and green McKinley heads on. These lights aren't for sale for any price (well, not any normal price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif).

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
a flashaholic who cashed in on a discontinued light is not a flasholic he's a merchant.

True flashaholic doesn't sell their collected lights until a tragedy or their wife threaten to kick them out of the house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
modamag said:
a flashaholic who cashed in on a discontinued light is not a flasholic he's a merchant.

True flashaholic doesn't sell their collected lights until a tragedy or their wife threaten to kick them out of the house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
NEGATIVE! a Flashaholic who sells his torches to buy more torches (uh...perhaps because they are more updated, latest & greatest, brighter, more features...etc.) just can't afford them all and is forced to "recycle" those torch funds so he can support that obsession!

There are indeed different levels of compulsion & obsession in every hobby. Some can afford any item that appears on the market (sort of wish I had those kind of funds!). Some can't and are forced to work 3 jobs to support that hobby! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I see a merchant as one who's selling merely to make a profit. I realize there are certainly "merchants" roaming the halls of the CPF, but there are also many genuine "Flashaholics" - who recognize a good deal and while "making a little extra" to fund their obsession, try not to break the bank of other members.

This has all been discussed around here before...it's that market, supply & demand thing. I'll not beat a dead horse on that subject.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

Yeah, I'm sick and I need help!! My family (two teenage sons who are budding "Flashaholics" and my wife, who's asks for her own torches - and you better believe I keep her supplied) haven't kicked me out "yet"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gorlank

Enlightened
I gave away three of the little Arc clone 3 led prototypes for Xmas, thinking that I'd be able to get more when they reintroduced them. Wrong!

Now, carefully plotting on how to best abscond with said lights without being a suspect.

Be vewwy vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Peaks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merchant, flashaholic, call me what you want. If anyone's interested in my Peak 1AAA 3LED hi-power in black aluminum, let me know. I also have a second one available that must have a manufacturing flaw and is dimmer than my Arc AAA.

Hmhh, now what light should I buy with the proceeds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here's a personal take.....
(not meaning to be negative in any way)

I don't have any Peaks -
they obviously interested me -
but unfortunately none that actually made me want to buy one.

Value and collectibility are, as always, in the eye of the beholder, and the demand.

Peak just have not been around long enough - nor do they have a single "defining" model - like the ArcAAA......

So other than having one in the collection -
I doubt very much if the value will increase (much) - other than in the initial surge of interest -
but that too will calm down - there will never be a very high demand since not many people have even heard about Peak - nor was there time for them to develop any reputation.......

Most "normal" people think we're crazy buying flashlights -
and they'll have us certified if they knew some of us actually collect them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif -
so other than the flashaholic community, who else would really know about Peaks?

Look at the demand for Arcs now that the initial surge as calmed down, and they were MUCH better known and had a much better reputation.....

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, there are lots of brass 7 LED single CR123 lights out there in multiple LED colors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have four Peaks, one 3 LED HO snow AAA, a brass AA 5 LED Snow, UV and red 5 LED heads and they all work well.
The HA-III UV head sits on an Arc AA body /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it is a shame that both the Peak head and Arc body are now unobtanium.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a quandry. I am interested in a Kilimanjaro 1xAA 5 LED High Power/Snow, and it looks like they're still available at Pocketlights.com. (Though not clear if they're the high power models). And...I realize they may not be available much longer. On the other hand, maybe I should just save my $ and be patient (not easy) and wait for the new Peak luxeons.

Anyone else going through a similar thought process?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
I'm in a quandry. I am interested in a Kilimanjaro 1xAA 5 LED High Power/Snow, and it looks like they're still available at Pocketlights.com. (Though not clear if they're the high power models). And...I realize they may not be available much longer. On the other hand, maybe I should just save my $ and be patient (not easy) and wait for the new Peak luxeons.

Anyone else going through a similar thought process?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I am. I bought a AA 5 led regular power, it's ok but I wasn't all that impressed like I was with the Stainless 7 UV Led job I bought.

I was thinking of buying a 5 Led Hipower Snow light until I realized the're about to come out with Luxeon models. I'm saving my money for one of those.

I posted before that in the short term Peak will hurt, but they will probibly do better in the long run if they switched to Luxeons.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin,
I have 4 Peak multiLED lights including the Kimanjaro 5 snow version in brass. Nice light but I am looking forward to the Luxeon versions myself. If you want output, I bet the upcoming Luxeon versions will be right up your alley.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments and advice. I'll probably try and wait on the Luxeons. I just hope there are no more dramatic announcements from Peak!

Latest posts