Surefire L1 Weatherproof Test

cia

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire website say's the L1 is weatherproof.
I wanted to test the domed lens to see if water would get in so I put my L1 in a sink of water for 10-15 minutes well I watched for air bubbles.

I did not see any air bubbles and no water got on the other side of the domed lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5a6638f6-9c98-43eb-a8cf-40652710f4e3.jpg

Sixpointone

Enlightened
CIA,

Awesome stuff. I appreciate your sharing, and I especially enjoyed the picture.

Thanks,
John

stockae92

Enlightened
go deeper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

deranged_coder

Enlightened
On flashlightreviews.com, the reviews for the Surefire lights have been updated and they mention that "Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters."

cia is a far braver man than I am. I would not dare to willingly toss any of my flashlights into water, unless it was a diving light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had faith in the basic water resistance of Surefires, and they'll probably go much deeper than I can go.

6P filling in for the coffee stirrer:
vr123-mod5.jpg

The U2 takes a bath in the sink regularly as well, as does the E1e. If either leaked (with regularly lubed O-rings, Nyogel too), SF CS would be hearing from me Real Soon.

I should do an underwater shot with the lights in the sink some day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 comes i8n the shower daily with me. I make sure I keep it well lubricated and the threads good and clean. My kids take both my L4 and G2 in the tub regularily as well.

sgtlmj

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
My L4 comes i8n the shower daily with me. I make sure I keep it well lubricated and the threads good and clean. My kids take both my L4 and G2 in the tub regularily as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... okay. That's a whole new level to EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sgtlmj said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
My L4 comes i8n the shower daily with me. I make sure I keep it well lubricated and the threads good and clean.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm... okay. That's a whole new level to EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Thoughts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

code09

Enlightened
Surefire lights can go much deeper than your washroom sink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I took my e1e/KL1 swimming with me. I threw it down the deep end with it turned on. The pool was 4.25 meters deep, left it there for around 10 minutes, it looks really cool from the top.
10 min later, i dived down to retrieve it, and then i opened it up on the deck, it was dry. It really does take a ware on the nyogel though. I re-lubed it up first thing when i got home

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
My boys play with my SF's in the bathtub all the time(including G2s). I've never had any leakage problems whatsoever.

Tom

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhm... Sorry, Im just interested! What do you do exactly with that light when you take a shower? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HEK_Hamburg said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhm... Sorry, Im just interested! What do you do exactly with that light when you take a shower? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys are the most dirty thinking batch of people I have ever met! I love it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ok, I guess I should clarify.. I do wildlife control for a living, I handle many different breeds of animals daily, I climb through attics and crawl spaces and handle poisons and chemicals. I am one of those people whos first chore upon enting my home is to wash my hands, thoroughly.
My kids LOVE lights, they each have their own but of course Dads are the best, so instead of handling them over to my kids with all the debris my body sees I clean them regularily. They get washed with my hands each time I come home and shower with me each time I do that, usually 2 times a day.
So, I don't take my lights in the shower for the sheer pleasure of it (most of the time). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now, would you guys please stop trying to visulize this, it's creeping me out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You gotta have a bright light to make sure you didn't miss a spot in the shower! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyways, what is the purpose of the L1 having a domed lens anyways? I've always wondered.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
WOW had my SF E2E and 6P in the rain here in seattle and my 6P went for a swim with me when I sliped and fell into a pool (while locking a club house at worck). Dont think that I would toss my light into water for fun though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif... just to much money. I See my E2E is headed for watter soon for a test /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif.

JKW

Newly Enlightened
Pydpiper,
That is without a doubt the most reasonable explanation I could have imagined for taking your L4 into the shower. I now feel really bad for mumbling under my breath "Man, what a geek. And I thought I was bad with the separation anxiety", when I read your earlier post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Maybe my rush to judgement is just my way of seeking to justify some of the goofy things I find myself doing, hey.