Costco AA Luxeon mods.

sniper

Enlightened
Well, I got the mineral glass lens and the 27mm IMS reflector from the Sandwich Shoppe...AND the Arctic Alumina epoxy. Now, I have no more excuses for not modding that brand new 3D Mag in the closet.

Per instructions, I removed the retainer ring inside the bezel by sticking the points of a small pair of scissors in the holes, and unscrewing it. I then cut the little legs off the reflector, and dropped it and the lens into the bezel. A little work, and the retaining ring was tightened down.
I turned it on, and lo and behold, the light rings from the optic were gone. Very nice beam. I have to wait till it gets dark see what else has happened.
Only one very minor problem, and it isn't, really. At distances closer than about 3 ft. there is a small star shaped hole in the beam's center. Back the light off past 3 feet, and the star disappears. I don't remember the last time I used a flashlight for anything closer than 3 ft, but if I need to, I'll use the edge of the beam, where the star ain't.
The star can be made slightly smaller by screwing the bezel on as tight as possible without crunching something. A worthwhile mod, I think, and not very expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

It got dark, and I compared my Costco Luxeons. The beams are about equally as bright, one not being better than the other, just different. The reflector gives a little tighter hotspot, and the optic spreads it a bit more. Throw is about equal, both light up a neighbor's garage at about 40 yards very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
Great mod, but mine uses the 27 mm reflector, not the 17...(and the 29.3 mm mineral glass).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nerd: You are right. I mis-read the numbers off my invoice. I just hate it when that happens!

Chevrofreak: I'll try that. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1/2 hour later: I did try it: I used a piece of thin notepad paper under the washer that isolates the module from the body, and it shortened the focus to slightly less than 2 feet. I tried a washer made of a business card, and the focus got worse. Soooo... I think I will let well enough alone,use the notepaper washer, and enjoy the light. Until next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif