Just got my KL1

E

Emilion

I pack it with a FB1 from Vital Gear and really happy with it. I've never imagine a small flash light like this can hv such throw. So....why do we need the trios? (I hv the Invoa T1 too)

Anyway, just to share my happiness =^_^=

E

Emilion

Yes, it is a problem but I'd prefer throw to spill in most situation. I need "throw" to look for leaking pipes, check the false ceiling without climbing up and down and up and down...... I know the Q-III is good, but I need more throw. And most important, I usually EDC 2 lights, previously the Inova T1 and SF L5. (no doubt the T1 will be replaced by KL1)

hikari

Newly Enlightened
Xrunner, I have been EDC'ing a VG FB1 body w/ a SF KL1 head for a little over a month now. It replaced a SF E2O which I carried for around a year. I started out with the old KL1 (the one with the "ridges" presumably for heat control), then rec'd a new KL1 head and stuck that on.

To be honest, for general purposes, I kind of prefer the old head which had a perfectly round hot spot with a very smooth, perfectly circular spill. It didn't throw nearly as well, but in the close quarters of an aircraft or your car or even in the house, I found the old KL1 to be more useful and pleasing (the light pattern, that is).

The new one, which I currently carry took some getting used to--the squarish beam and ringed spill--uuugh--ugg uh lee! But, it's bright and certainly gets people's attention when you flash it (not that the old one didn't). The main reason I haven't switched back to the old KL1 head is because I'm not sure if I want to "use" it and batter it up--JIC it might be worth something in the future as a collectors' item or something. I think I might have to start looking for another one of the old heads so I can use one and hoard the other... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ob1

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the KL1 which I should receive in the mail any day now. Throwing it on my E2e. Also awaiting my McE2s 22ohm trim switch from Mcgizmo. I can't wait. From all the threads I've looked at about the new KL1, either you love it or you hate it. I personally need more throw then spill. I'll post again in a few days when i receive my KL1

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want more throw than spill, you will love the new KL1. It is definately a throw monster. I had no idea an LED light that small could throw so far. It has throw and brightness equivalent to my 6P, just with a lot less sidespill. It is my EDC backup and WOW what a backup it is!!! You'll see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

E

Emilion

Yes! The new KL1 is SOooooo sweet! It's brighter than T1, and accept R123. I'll get 2 more tomorrow, one for Dad and one for my wife (currently EDCing a UK2AAA led). BTW, is the FB1 durable? The (-) pole contact doesn't seem that tough.....

Mark2

Enlightened
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like the new KL1 as much as the old one... IMHO, the beam of the newest KL1 is a step backwards, it isn't even circular like the Tiros beams, and it has that oddly colored edge. Also, having good throw doesn't mean there can't be any sidespill. I don't know, but take a look at the Aleph3 and you'll see what a good reflector can do with a Lux3! The Aleph3 easily outthrows the KL1, has a *perfectly* round beam with no artifacts AND nice and useful sidespill. Don, maybe you could lend them a hand... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emilion, I've also been edc'ing a fb-1. I've got a wiz2-520 in an aleph2 head (1hr 18 min on batterystation r123) and although the switch is finicky reguarding how tight you screw it down it hasn't given any troubles once the tension is right. Otherwise, it is very durable with a quality pocketclip (something the custom jobs can't seem to do as well) and nice HA3 finish. For those of you who prefer a more floody/moderate throw light this combo is excellent.

Once Georges80 makes the Lionheart boards available again I am hoping to stick one of those in there for added functionality as well as have a slot milled for an orb tritium locator.

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Is there a general consensus that the new KL1 definitely has more throw than a QIII?

Thanks,

Neal

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
triplem said:
Is there a general consensus that the new KL1 definitely has more throw than a QIII?

Thanks,

Neal

[/ QUOTE ]

WAY more throw.

i do understand the "Im used to it" syndrome were after many great light's thing's like beam shape,tint,(even a shade inside a truly white light) and optic/reflectored etc seem to
become overriding factor's in using a light with ANY satisfaction.
I am still pretty new to high end FL's but this shining on the wall, art gallery trait, I truly hope i don't pickup!
KL-1's have a funky beam shining on your ceiling but outside
using it like it meant to, the KL-1 is white,bright, throw's as far as my HDS 60, E2d, and doesn't leave any
artifact's that would make me miss something or get me killed.
On the flip i thought the Q-III (now owned by my daughter) reflectored beam blew, the flood wipe's out the throw it does have.
I say this as a sorta devil's advocate to many post's i see that seem to give the KL-1 as "square" a view as the ceiling bounce of a KL-1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I took a chance on a KL-1 and found out: i's not 1) a laser beam, 2)a light saber, 3) not have any spill AT ALL!

When this site first started reviewing it, i was truly was lead to believe it would be like a X1 with a lux III and much more throw. But the beam does widen out, and is very true color wise, and on a VG body really is a great package.
For preformance vs price, 56$ retail, I think it's a great value on a EDC. VDG

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new KL1 makes more sense to me when used on a 2x123A body. It starts out brighter, stays bright longer, and has over twice the runtime as the 1x123A configuration.

If you have the new style KL1 and want to have the option of a broader and less intense beam, I recommend getting the beamshaper. Not only does the beamshaper eliminate the artifacts completely, but it also improves the color a lot. This happens because it blends out the chromatic distortion introduced by the optics.

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Voodoo.

Here is what I am having trouble with. The new Surefire catalog lists the new KL1 as having 25-30 lumens (depending on number of batteries E1L vs. E2L). I believe the QIII is touted as being around 70 lumens. Is the QIII figure accurate? I do understand lumen output does not correlate to throw but I am having a hard time grasping the fact a 25 lumen light is out-throwing a 70 lumen light with near the same size head / reflector.

Neal

cslinger

Enlightened
I don't have a QIII but I have a L1 and an E1L which is essentially a KL1 head on a E1E. I will say that the new KL1 head has serious throw to it. It out throws my Inova T1 and T2 and they do really well.

I'm not a betting man but I think the QIII is probably overating it's output a wee bit.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
triplem said:
Thanks Voodoo.

Here is what I am having trouble with. The new Surefire catalog lists the new KL1 as having 25-30 lumens (depending on number of batteries E1L vs. E2L). I believe the QIII is touted as being around 70 lumens. Is the QIII figure accurate? I do understand lumen output does not correlate to throw but I am having a hard time grasping the fact a 25 lumen light is out-throwing a 70 lumen light with near the same size head / reflector.

Neal

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question! i got a 72 lumen Q-III a 60 lumen HDS, 3 new KL-1's and incan SF E2d.
All seem to have lot's of light. I know from learning here lumen's are measured from the brightest spot on the beam, the Q-III really feel's lit up,but just don't "illuminate"
what i am aiming at. the HDS is equal in throw to the new KL-1, but "seems" less bright then the 60 lumen E2d.
so I think yep they fudge on the lumen factor, but HDS seem's like they went to the trouble of really trying to approach true output spec's.

In a way that was one aspect of my rant, in this case the new KL-1, it seem's to do a far better job throwing then
other light's esp at 25-30 lumens, and If i have to put up with less spill, and a not perfect beam to do it, i can live with it. VDG

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
I know from learning here lumen's are measured from the brightest spot on the beam,

[/ QUOTE ]

No, lux measurements are taken at the brightest spot of the beam (and at a known distance). This gives you an idea of how much throw the beam has, regardless of other factors.

Lumen measurements, which tell you how much total light is being emitted, require an expensive piece of equipment called an integrating sphere. But you can do a rough comparison between two flashlights by shining them at the ceiling of a darkened room and looking at how well the reflected light illuminates the objects in the room. Look at the objects in the room, not at the beam spots on the ceiling.

Surefire typically advertises realistic lumen ratings. Most other companies, however, grossly exaggerate theirs. You should cut 30-50% off most of the advertised lumen numbers in order to get something closer to reality. It follows, of course, that you should not make a decision between two flashlights based on the lumens claimed by the manufacturers.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
I know from learning here lumen's are measured from the brightest spot on the beam,

[/ QUOTE ]

No, lux measurements are taken at the brightest spot of the beam (and at a known distance). This gives you an idea of how much throw the beam has, regardless of other factors.

Lumen measurements, which tell you how much total light is being emitted, require an expensive piece of equipment called an integrating sphere. But you can do a rough comparison between two flashlights by shining them at the ceiling of a darkened room and looking at how well the reflected light illuminates the objects in the room. Look at the objects in the room, not at the beam spots on the ceiling.

Surefire typically advertises realistic lumen ratings. Most other companies, however, grossly exaggerate theirs. You should cut 30-50% off most of the advertised lumen numbers in order to get something closer to reality. It follows, of course, that you should not make a decision between two flashlights based on the lumens claimed by the manufacturers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the refresh asdalton, i should have remembered that from visiting flashlight review's.com so mant times...VDG

ob1

Newly Enlightened
Finally received my KL1 This morning. WOW! I love this thing. If you like throw, which I do, then this thing is for you. I mounted it on a E2e body. Took it out for a walk for about a half hour. Snooping around in the Old underground Iraqi bunkers here. This thing really rocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Its my new EDC. Just waiting on my McE2s switch and pila 168s batteries and I got myself one heck of an illumination system.