After hundreds and thousands of hours on an LED...

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
We all know that LEDs have an extremely long lifetime when compared to an incad, but has anyone actually driven an LED to the point where it had to be replaced? Also, the SF2005 catalog stated that "the usful light for an LED is defined as the calculated time for the light level to decline to 50 percent of its original value" How will we know when it has reached this line? Thanks!!!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suspect if it's overdriven, yes, it may be "used up". Otherwise, it's like with a fluorescent, sometimes it's hard to know when it's "done".

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: After hundreds and thousands of hours on an LE

How will you know? You'll check it on a lightmeter ... or compare a sample with thousands of hours of usage to a new one...

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I once worked in a lab where we had a team developing lifetime calculating models for LEDs. Those people routinely have driven LEDs do the breaking point, by overdriving it or heating the LED to accelerate the aging. So it's done routinely by manufacturers and scientists. The models are than of course compared to LEDs who aged during normal operation.

*Retired*

Of course, some implementations do a poor job of keeping the LED cool, then they overdrive it on top of that, so light decrease is going to happen alot sooner than normal

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Thanks nerdgineer, i'll look into the post.
No offense, Photonboy, but I don't actually believe that a light will be obsolete, i mean, it's actually just a tool. Yes there will be new features, but a light unlike a computer does not have the upgrade-software-upgrade-hardware process. Just as if you were using a using a 20 year-old screwdriver. As long as cr123 cells don't die, neither will lights that use them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

cia

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
I still use a Beta VCR. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you do, but for what?

joshwang

Newly Enlightened

hehe...a bit off topic but i would sure like to copy my video cassettes onto VCDs, but the machines cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif