Another dumb Q 3 question...

Phil_B

Enlightened
I put a question up ,how to strip the Q3. Now I've got that far,the emitter is off centre (my reason for stripping),but it's on a "star".
Will it move on the star,is it cemented? What are my options(before I use the soldering iron!)?
I'd like to fit a spare,better emitter but remember breaking one a while back trying to remove it from the star. Any suggestions?
TIA,Phil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom M

Newly Enlightened
Search for QIII, disassembly instructions can be readily found. I have two and they are slightly different inside: One has a retaining ring to hold in the star and the other does not. Both opened with gentle heating - I heated a coffee cup of water in the microwave, put the QIII (without battery or tailcap) in the a plastic bag, in the hot water after it came out of the microwave, and after a few minutes of heating the top readily unscrewed. I would strongly suggesting swapping the whole star rather than the emitter, it seems much easier.

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
I, too, destroyed an emitter while trying to remove it from a star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
So I would suggest to change the whole star (or live with the off-center, if the other aspects of the LED, like tint, brightness etc. are ok for you)

Phil_B

Enlightened
The tint is great,the brightness is ok,I just like stuff to be right. I'd rather live with a slight fault than screw it up for the pursuit of perfection though. At the end of the day,it's a £18 torch not a £150 custom monster!
That said,I might pick up a star sometime and go that route as it really is a nice EDC for the money.
Thanks lads,Phil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened
Phil_B, I can relate to your desire for "stuff to be right".

Someone posted they took a Dremel to the star and ground a bit off to center their emitter.

Mark