Update Surefire 6R to Current Standards?

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Surefire 6R in a standard black body and regular incandescent lens 10 years ago. After reading LOTS of posts here, I'd like to know what I could add to this light to "fully" accessorize it with modern toys, such as a new LED head, rechargeable batteries, lenses, LEDS, etc. I'd like to maintain the small form factor of the light as a pocket light.

I'm a total newbie here, and my recent insomnia is costing me a small fortune, since I seem to buy lights when I can't sleep.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Any advice is appreciated.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
**bump** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What I mean is that I now have a 10-year old 6R light, but I guess I have some newbie questions ...

1. What are the differences between a 6P and a 6R?
2. Can I use rechargeable 123's, and if so, which ones (and charger too)?
3. Is the KL2 LED conversion head the right one for this light?
4. What is the highest intensity incandescent bulb available for this? Is it the P61?

Or overall, perhaps more importantly, does anyone think it makes sense to pump new money into this old light? Or am I better just purchasing a new Surefire model like the E1E and going from there?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice you can offer.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P is shorter, because it only takes two CR123 cells. I am not sure whether your 6R's body has two parts that can unscrew, but if you can remove the extender, you can turn it into a 6P and use two CR123 batteries with it.

Unlikely you can use rechargeable 123s because they have different voltages and will blow the 6P's lamp.

The KL3 will work with the 6P/6R. The KL2 is no longer in production, it was a 19-LED bezel for the Millenium series lights. You can also buy the KL5 LED head for the 6P/6R. They say the KL5 is 65 lumens but you are likely to get a LOT more than that because of improvements in LED technology. The KL3 is around 20-30 lumens.

Yes, the highest intensity incandescent available is the P61.

It depends on what you want to do with the light, what you need from it. Maybe if you go into some detail on your requirements? Do you need more power, a LED head, and so on? If you really want to play, the E-series offers more options because of the third-party add-ons by many of CPF's excellent modders.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 6R _is_ a 6P with an A14 extender added. Take the extender off and you can treat it just like any other SF light.

If you want to use it with two CR123s or the long rechargable pack, the brightest bulb would be the P61. But you need to get a new bezel with a pyrex lens. However, since a 6R has an extender, you can use a custom spacer, three CR123s, and a P90 or P91. Still need the pyrex for the P91.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys, for the quick responses. The end cap on my little black light says:

"SURE.FIRE 6R LASER PRODUCTS FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CA"

But the light itself has only 2 123 cells. It has a P60 bulb assembly, but I can find no extender at all. Just the lens assembly, body and end cap.

All things considered, I think that this light is a bit old to try to update. I think I'll go with a new E series light.

Since it would be for pocket carry, do you recommend the E2E? My basic use is just for walking at night and lighting up really dark areas on our property. We have a lot of wild animals that wander around here at night, and it's fun to surprise them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks again for your help.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, you didn't get the whole light then. Without the spacer call it a 6P. The 6R was a 6P sold with a spacer, so you could use a long 6V rechargable pack.

Age has nothing to do with it. Depending on your preferences it's better than a new 6P. Whatever fits the P series will fit this.

sfs1.jpg

6P is the smaller one, other is a 6R.
sfs2.jpg

vontech

Newly Enlightened
Abtomat: Thanks for the excellent clarification. Now I know what I have.

I think I may elect to leave this little light alone, get a new Surefire E or A series light, then play with that one.

Thanks again for your great help. (and pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif)