White LED's

Jbirk

Newly Enlightened
White LED\'s

What I want to buy is an extremly bright white led that will fit into a 2 AA Mini Maglite without any modification.

I went to Radio Shack and was only able to find red leds that were the correct size but they were rated at 2.5mcd, obviously not bright enough.

Where can I get an led that is the same size as the mini maglite bulb?

Thank You for your help.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: White LED\'s

i suggest either an intretech drop in, or one from dat2zip...both are members of this site and are great to deal with.

the intretech is much cheaper, but dat2zips are brighter.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Both of these previous suggestions require minor modifications of the flashlight. If you are willing to do very minor modifications (pulling out some of the internals, not hard), I really like the Newbeam module. Its nowhere near the brightness of these other two, but it keeps going and going.

As for just dropping in a single led into the bi-pin lamp holes, I would guess that you aren't going to get much light. I don't have a Mag in front of me, but I'm guessing that you will only be able to get a 3mm Led into the reflector. This will seriously limit the brightness. If you dump the reflector, or drill it you could put in a 5mm Nichia led (back to modding), which would get you up to 5600mcd.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

You can fit 3 N sized cells into a MiniMag, all you need to do is to wrap some paper or foam around the batteries so they don't rattle. You will also need some kind of spacer, either a small spring or some metal piece to compensate for the shorter battery length. The LED's will be a lot happier with the 4.5V input (no resistors required). You will still need to drill the reflector to use 5mm Nichias (rated as high as 9500+ mcp), or if you just want to see how a LED flashlight looks like, use 3mm LED's (rated only at 2000+ mcp). You can also use yellow LED's and then you can get away with two regular AA's.