New SF releases

blinded

Newly Enlightened
Greetings.
A question about the SF E2L VS L2, this will be my first high quality flashlight. Would someone please shed some light on this comparison. Additionally, when was the L2 released, when can we expect its replacement and should I wait for it instead of getting the current L2 or E2L now? My needs are general in purpose and function. Many thanks.

meat

Newly Enlightened
The main difference between the L2 and E2L is that the L2 is longer and has a high and low setting.

clarky

Newly Enlightened
L2 is five watt w/a reflector, E2/1L is a three watt W/ optics <==main differences. I'll let someone with experience with both describe beam differences etc...

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
clarky said:
L2 is five watt w/a reflector, E2/1L is a three watt W/ optics <==main differences. I'll let someone with experience with both describe beam differences etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

The L2 beam is a nice balanced beam, with a little preference to flood. No artifacts in the beam, and excellent transition from hotspot to corona. My opinion says that this beam is a very good short to medium range use.

The E2E/KL1 is mostly a throw beam, and is loaded with various artifacts--rings in the corona, voids, irregular shaped hotspot (square), etc. At long range, this does not become an issue, but at close range my opinion says the beam is less than ideal.

So, depends on your use. You need pure throw, get E2E + KL1 (or whatever new label they call it, i.e. 2L). You need excellent short to medium range area coverage, get the L2.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame that Surefire evidently does not release the KL1 with a reflector. I had Chop modify my old one with a 3W Lux and reflector and it is my most used around the house light.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
blinded said: My needs are general in purpose and function.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the L2 was released in June 04 and hasn't changed since other than the body being more round. I would recommend the L2 for general purpose as it can accomplish just about any task around the house. You might also get a good incandescent for when you need throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif