4-color Recon type - just got one - i like it

DarkShadows

Newly Enlightened
Last night I picked up a COAST "LED Lenser" "Tac Torch" for $40 at Fry's Elec.

http://www.coastcutlery.com/?v=37&pl=76&p=560

Anybody else have one of these? How does it compare to the Gerber Recon? I am very happy with it. At least until you tell me that I made a crappy purchase, then I might not feel so good about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

IF anybody wants, I will write a brief review and post a pic of it. It puts out a pretty nice wall of light in white mode. Just what I wanted.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that light have four separate LEDs of different colors? When I saw the Gerber Recon, I thought that having separate LEDs would be a better idea than filtering a single white LED, which is what the Recon does. The individual colors would be more intense, and you could get a white beam by running the red/green/blue LEDs all at once. Please tell us more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Update:

Here is a more detailed description of the light. It does have three colored LEDs and one white. The only remaining question is whether you can turn them on independently, since it says that there are four switches.

DarkShadows

Newly Enlightened
There are six led's in the Tac Torch. One red, one blue, one green and three white. There are four seperate buttons. You can turn as many on at one time as you want. If you turn all of them on at the same time, you do not get a pure white light because of the reflector. In the reflector, each led has a seperate "well" of its own. When it is shown on the wall with all colors lit, you see a rainbow of colors in the hot spot. Using all colors at the same time does make for slightly more light output but I do not like it because of the distracting rainbow effect and overlapping artifacts. I would turn them all on at the same time only if I needed to squeeze every bit of light out it possible at a given instant. I intend, and would recommend, to use only one color at a time, unless it is purely for entertainment purposes only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarkShadows

Newly Enlightened
My Review: Four-color Recon

Review Date: 3/6/2005

Brand: Coast "LED Lenser"
Model: "Tac Torch" "4-color Recon Light"
Material: Aluminum
Color: Black anodized
LED's: 6 total (one red, one blue, one green, three white)
Switches: 4 click-switches, color coded for the l.e.d.'s
Battery: 3xAAA (uses holder)
Dimensions: 1" diameter; 4" length
Accessories: Lanyard (olive drab), 3xAAA
Build quality: 3 stars (of 5)
Price: $39.99

This is a four-color specialty torch which allows individual activation of each color alone or in any combination. However, when activated in combination, the hot-spot of each individual l.e.d. overlaps adjacent colors, combining the distracting artifacts of two or more l.e.d's to become even more distracting. Each color l.e.d. exhibits its own artifacts due to the shape of the reflector. Each l.e.d. sits in its own little "well". One quarter of that "well" is open (toward the center of the light) and this is evident in the corona. Additionally, due to the chromed reflector, there is a "hole" in the center of each hot-spot.

White mode: On the white setting, there is a fairly well dispersed flood, evenly filling a small room in a 180 degree hemishpere. Tint is toward blue yet colors are still rendered rather naturally. Overall... very pleasing in this mode.

Blue & Green mode: These colors have perhaps half of the "apparent" brightness of the white mode.

Red mode: This mode has the least "apparent" brightness, especially in regard to the spill light. In reality, the red is probably not any dimmer than the green & blue. It is a perceptual thing.

Switches: There is a seperate 5/16" round, domed click-switch for each l.e.d. color. They are located around the circumference of the torch with 90 degress of seperation, not quite an inch from the front. The buttons are attractively color anodized in the same color as the l.e.d. for which they are intended, except for the white l.e.d's which have a black button. This one is textured, for tactile identification. However, the texture is rather light and it is therefore not always easily discerned. When in doubt, running the edge of a thumbnail across the surface, makes it readily apparent. Activation of the switch produces an audible double-click. Pressure needed is moderate and it has a rather pleasant tactile feedback.

Ergonomics: The base of the torch nestles in the center of the palm, with the switches falling naturally under the thumb and index finger. Very comfortable in an average man's hand.

Runtime: not established

Reliability: unknown

Conclusion: A fairly well-made, handy and versitile torch. The white-mode is quite nice and sufficient motivation to own one. In the bargain, one gets the bonus of three additional colors with utility of their own. To this reviewer, this torch's versatility and well dispersed white light make up for its shortcomings (color beam artifacts).

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Re: My Review: Four-color Recon

The Gerber Recon is a lot more compact than the LED Lenser one and the Recon produces a lot less light. I have both and I find the Recon to be useable only in close range or extremely dark environments. Between the two I find the LED Lenser one to be the one I find to be generally more useful for my flashlight needs. However, as always, YMMV.

I will try to post some pics of the lights side-by-side tomorrow.

deranged_coder

Enlightened

Gerber Infinity Ultra and Duracell AA battery are included for size reference:

ReconLightsSizeComparison01.jpg

ReconLightsSizeComparison02.jpg

flashlite

Enlightened

I just saw an ad for this one in the latest issue of Backpacker Magazine. It has six LED's - five white and one red. Both colors are controlled by two separate switches.

These lights really look interesting. I just hope the quality is good.

DarkShadows

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
flashlite said:
I just saw an ad for this one in the latest issue of Backpacker Magazine. It has six LED's - five white and one red. Both colors are controlled by two separate switches.

These lights really look interesting. I just hope the quality is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one you are looking at is identical in build quality to the 4-color unit, so the quality is the same: decent. I got the 4-color light because I do not own any other color lights and I wanted to play with it and decide how useful these colors would be to me. So far, the green and blue are good for amusement purposes only. Red, of course, can be very useful. I may have been better off with the one that you are looking at. I would have a brighter light and still have the dim red for subdued circumstances. I am not too sad though, since my white mode uses only 3 l.e.d's, I guess I am saving on batteries. I paid $40 for the 4-color light at Fry's. The 2-color that you are looking at was $30 at Fry's. Just for your information. I think you will be happy with it. Let us know!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does any light spill out through those little holes around the side of the bezel?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I, for one, would love to see beamshots of both of these lights. I am thinking of getting one, and would like to see what the relative outputs are and what the beams are like. Pics, please!

DarkShadows

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
Does any light spill out through those little holes around the side of the bezel?

[/ QUOTE ]

The holes are decorative only (on this model). I have another Coast light (a 3xN) where the light does come through the holes but not on the Tac Torch. On the Tac Torch the chromed reflector shows through the holes.

flashlite

Enlightened

I'm guessing that with the holes behind the reflector and switch design, these things aren't water resistant? Does the packaging say anything about water resistance? Are there O rings anywhere?

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Coast/LED-Lenser lights are not known for their water resistance.

The_virus

Enlightened

I have four little LED Lenser keychain LED lights and they are simply fantastic, considering they're single LEDs. The blue one is called Flash-Fire and is really bright, but is intended for entertainment really...it has a screw-on solid plastic diffuser tube which makes it look like a small lightsabre, and it has a constant on plus two different flash modes (slow and fast).

The red one is called Photonpump V8 and has notices on it's gift box saying it won some design awards. Anyways, it's a great keychain light, nice red light that spreads out well.

The white one is the most impressive though. It's called the V1 Moon Lenser, it's only a single white LED, but they've got a really good lens on it, so it makes a perfectly round "full moon" spot, hence the name.

The last one is their "Alien-Lite" which was a gift last christmas. It's actually 3 LEDs, the whole unit is shaped like an alien head and the eyes light up, along with another LED on the "chin" which is the main light.

The three keychain lights all have O-rings at the back where you unscrew to get at the batteries (button cells), however I wouldn't get any of these wet on purpose. Most of the LED Lenser/Coast/Zweibrüder Light Research lights seem to have the ring of holes around the bezel of their lights. In the Flash-Fire and V1 Moon Lenser light does come out the holes for an added neatness effect, where the reflector (which is quite deep) on the Photonpump V8 covers up the holes, so no light escapes out the side.

The quality of these lights hasn't really been pushed since they all look so nice and provide such even and impressive light for their size. Each has it's own metal gift tin with formed foam, as far as presentation and light goes, LED Lenser always looks good while working well.

I guess my point is that I've never been disappointed with a LED Lenser light, and I'll probably start looking for one of these multi-coloured lights locally! Lee-Valley tools is where I got the 3 keychain lights if anyone is interested, the Alien-Lite was a gift, but I suspect it came from there too.

I'd provide pictures, but I haven't sorted out any kind of hosting for myself yet, photobucket.com seems to ring a bell...

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Moon Beam vs. ArcAAA
ll_aaa_-_moon.jpg

V1 Series
ll_v1_series.jpg

V8 Series (Photonenpumpe)
ll_v8_series.jpg

V9 Series with Flashfire
ll_v9_series.jpg

Logo-Lenser (V1 with logo appearing in moon beam)
LogoLenserBat.jpg

bernhard

flashlite

Enlightened

I'm confused.

There seems to be two model numbers for the dual colored V2 Tac Torch. - CCC7736D & LL7736D. Anyone know if there's a difference?

deranged_coder

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
I, for one, would love to see beamshots of both of these lights. I am thinking of getting one, and would like to see what the relative outputs are and what the beams are like. Pics, please!

[/ QUOTE ]
I will try to post some pics later this evening. Operative word being 'try'. I have not tried taking beamshots before so I will be experimenting quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif