My Surefire L4 fell out of my pocket and died

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
The pocket clip spring on my Surefire L4 is pretty loose. doesnt really retain the light in my pocket very well anymore. Well today, as I was getting out of my car, the light fell out of my pocket and landed in an asphault parking lot. It quit working.

I tried several new sets of batteries and sometimes it will turn on, but if i shake the light, it shuts off. Not what i expect from a light that cost well over $100.00

Anyone know how fast Surefire is with warranty repairs. I see in my owners manual I have to call first to get a return authorization number.

stockae92

Enlightened
i think SF are "you break it, we'll fix it", so you will have a new one soon

but i am a little disappointed hearing stories like this. this should not happen to a $100+ light (especially one that made by SF, i have high expectation for them)

emrbrtn

Enlightened
Just send it back in I'd say. I don't think it should break from a drop that small, but maybe thats just me.

totenkopf

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I've dropped mine several times and it still works fine, definetly send it back.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:
i think SF are "you break it, we'll fix it", so you will have a new one soon

but i am a little disappointed hearing stories like this. this should not happen to a $100+ light (especially one that made by SF, i have high expectation for them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, the Costco Luxeon lights that are 30 dollars for two have the same issue, there is a report of one of them dying if dropped just right.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
NB,

LOL,...

On the other hand I need a Costco near my house, THORs and Luxeons everywhere, it's not fair, the Sam's club here has neither.

Mednanu

Enlightened
I just sent mine in for the same exact symptoms. It's been dropped a couple of times, but nothing so harsh that a $160 flashlight should have broken. It appears that the boost module actually shifted within the head within mine. Either way, we'll see how it goes after about a week or two with SureFire. It's been a great flashlight but was a bit less rugged than I was expecting it to be. Hopefully SF will stand by their warranty though - that would make the purchase price all worth it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with your repair and hope you get it back quickly. It sucks to be without your favorite light. I wouldn't expect it to fail from that kind of a drop (although I would definitely expect character marks, especially onto asphalt), but.. I guess stuff happens, and that's what warranties are for. The true test is in how well they take care of you, I have only had to call upon them once and they took care of me well.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats unfortunate to hear, you are going to be treated well by Surefire, rest assured.
I beat my light up pretty bad, I don't know what I would do if I had to be without it for a while.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
My Streamlight Tasklight Luxeon 3AA rolled of a ceiling
tile and fell about 8 ft. onto a concrete floor while
it was on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
It stayed lit and it still works fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I guess any light may fail if it lands just right.
Good luck with your repair.

I have a freind that had a new BMW stall on the way
home from the dealership.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Pwdrkeg said:
I guess any light may fail if it lands just right.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it lands just "wrong" you mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We do drop testing of glass tables - sometimes they bounce.
(but they only bounce once...)

Al

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif - right ??? - wrong ???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif - what ever breaks it ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

cliff

Newly Enlightened
My U2 winked out on me when it was 30 days old - no impact, no abuse - just fried. I sent it in and it has been in their shop since 1/21/05 waiting for parts. Surefire has been very responsive to questions and updates, but apparently parts for the high-end LEDs aren't always on the shelf.

On one hand, I could be bummed that this happened to a $270 light. On the other, Surefire never said it wouldn't break - only that they would fix it if it did. If/when I get it back I may develop some issues if it breaks again after another 30 days, but until then I'll hold my gripes.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW,

My L4 got sucked up and mangled by a snow-blower and still works perfectly. I guess it didn't get hit "just right" It's a tough little bugger.

Wilkey

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this thread isn't very reasuring. I just got an L4 today. Hope mine is like Wilkey's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I must say though that I am a little dissapointed with it for it's price. It's a great light, no doubt it, but if I had the chance to play with one before I probably would have kept my money and saved for something else. Honestly, my QIII feels tougher. But, as I said, it's still a great light; I just think that it is worth closer to $80, not the $130+ most of us can get it for. Just a tiny bit dissapointed SureFire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Given the number of L4's in the hands of CPF members we see only a couple failures. I take this as an extremely reassuring sign. If people aren't reporting failures you could conclude they don't care enough to report it. I tend to be of the opinion that CPF members will report if their SureFire fails.

Al

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much the same as anything. All SF products are very, very tough. ANY design however will have at least one weak spot - though in the case of SF products it's not very weak!

You drop the light, just so - if the forces work on the afforementioned point in a certain way, a failure can be a result.

Suggestion: Tried tightening the head? My L2 had a flickering issue for a week or so, turned out the head just needed tightening.

Fiatlux

Newly Enlightened
bad news when your light goes off....BUT...for future reference.... keep the clip working as it was designed.