Do you hate the new style? A=you hate it, B=you think it's alright

• Surefire L2 Lumamax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surefire L4 Lumamax

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blike

Newly Enlightened
I am gonna buy a surefire L4 or L2, but I can't decide which one.
Can anybody tell me wich is best?
Are they both submersible in water?
Is the L2 on high mode a lot brighter then the L4?
Why does the L4 cost more then the L2?

thank you in advance

regards, blike

E

Emilion

I'd say...get both :p
From SF's website, L2 is selling at $165, while L4 cost slightly $5 less. They are similar, but L2 is 1 inch longer.

I'll vote for the shorter L4.

blike

Newly Enlightened
the shop i'm buying them from the L4 costs EURO 10,- more then the L2
So the L2 is besides it size, better then the L4?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I own and like the L2. Which one is better depends on your needs. The L2 is a great light. The low level is still quite bright - I used it 95% of the time. The high level is great for when I need a wall of light. You can engage the low level light, and then push the switch and get the high beam - this is incredibly useful.

You can get similar functionality with the L4 with a McGizmo McE2S. This costs extra though. The big differences are:
L2
- slightly brighter high mode
- slightly worse battery life in high mode
- long life in low mode
- both high and low level are regulated

L4
- High mode only unless McE2S is added
- Takes pila rechargeable batteries
- 1" shorter.

The 1" shorter doesn't sound like a lot - but depending on how you plan to carry the light it could be a big difference in how comfortable the light is. Which one is better depends on how you intend to use it. As a duty light, where you'll use it frequently, but for short periods of time, the L4 has the edge I think - rechargeable batteries will really help in that case. (The rechargeables are extra, 3rd party add-ons, too.) Of course, by the time you add rechargeable batteries and the switch, the L4 is more expensive than the L2. For general use, I think the L2 is a terrific light. The good news is you'll probably be happy whichever you choose!

blike

Newly Enlightened
ok thank you,
because I'm plannin' on keepin it in my pocket all day, I'll go for the L4. After I've saved a while, I might still get the McGizmo McE2S or the L2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)
thank you guys
blike

Bravado

Newly Enlightened
I've owned both and due to it's shorter length I prefer the L-4 for EDC, I just wish it had the two stage tailcap like the L-2.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of now the vote is split evenly, 8/8 on each side, after I voted.

I prefer the L4, and own the L4. The reason is rechargeable batteries, if I'm going to use a light a lot, it had better be able to take rechargeable batteries. I also have a requirement that if necessary, I should be able to switch back to primary cells. Since the L4 sits around the house most of the time, high beam only is fine, I like the Z57 clickie. You can add a low beam, but that sacrifices the clickie. It's also good to wear with a shirt and tie due to its small size. The L2 would be a bit too long, see below for the size problem.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, I would definitely want a variable power light as my EDC, because I find multi levels very useful. My pocket-carry light is the U2, nuff said.. thankfully I'm in jeans/cargo pants most of the time, only those have enough space for the U2!

So if I couldn't have my U2, I'd probably still stick with the L4 but I might be convinced to give up the Z57 and add the two-stage McE2S, simply because it is smaller than the L2 and takes rechargeables.

100 on high is not unrealistic, due to advances in LED technology. Even my L4 is somewhere in the 100 range, as is my U2, this was determined after comparing to known-105 lumen lights like the Surefire P90. The specs are just specs, take it as a 'minimum' of what you'll get, and hope you luck out and get better.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say L4 too, the shorter body and ability to take rechargables did it for me. I don't think brightness is an issue, I understand they are both the same on high.
Here on CPF the is a member selling both lights new in the box, I would bet they are less than what you are looking at now.
I love my L4! I had the same dillema at one time..

MoonRise

Enlightened
L2.

To me, either 2-cell is just a bit long to EDC. In the hand, the length of the L2 is just right so that my thumb is on the switch and the bezel just protrudes out the other end.

The two stage switch with regulated high and low is nice on the L2. If low is enough, use it because you can easily jump up to the 100 lumen Wall-O-Light on high. The switch gives you two stages, and you can also do a lock-out, or constant ON low with high just a press away or constant HIGH.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
As of now the vote is split evenly, 8/8 on each side, after I voted.

I prefer the L4, and own the L4. The reason is rechargeable batteries, if I'm going to use a light a lot, it had better be able to take rechargeable batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is only a big factor if you will use the light on it's high setting most of the time. (Which would be true of the L4 - you'd use high 100% of the time.) I don't find I need to change batteries on the L2 very frequently - the low setting gives long runtime, and is usually all I need. If I needed the high beam most of the time, it would be a different story, of course.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an L4 today. It sure is a nice light. If you're going to EDC it, I'd definitly tell you to go with the L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

For me, it's the L2. I have an L4 that's kind of on the green side as far as tint goes. I like it's size and it's bright enough, but my L2 appears brighter and it's tint is much whiter. I also appreciate the lower setting on L2 as well and like it's lanyard attachment. At first, I thought the L2 was going to be a bit too long for everyday carry but it's not as cumbersome as you'd think. When it's not clipped to my pocket I carry it bezel down in a SPEC-OPS flashlight sheath. The L2's overall length doesn't bother me at all although it's probably the longest light I'd want to EDC.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4, heres why: its smaller, cheaper, and most of all its battery time is higher.

L2: has 2 stages, more lumens.

but Id go with L4

-david

bignasty

Newly Enlightened
I own a L4, but not a L2. The two-stage McE2S tailcap gives the high/low option in a package that is about 1 inch shorter than the L2. For me this was very important. The rechargeable option is just gravy. I am sure one can't go wrong with the L2, I just like the shorter package.

rscanady

Enlightened
L2, I EDC it all the time and the extra length is no big deal, I love having the dual mode available, batteries arent an issue for me as I get them from work....but if I came across and L4 for a good deal I would probably buy it also. Currentyly EDC SF L2 and Modded QIII.