Don't complain about the E2 non-lockout tailpiece if you haven't tried THIS.....

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Don\'t complain about the E2 non-lockout tailpiece if you haven\'t tried THIS.....

The current E2 does have the equivalent of a lock-out tailpiece:a lockout bezel. Just slightly unscrew the bezel (it takes 3 complete 360 degree turns to remove it, so one complete turn will be safe either way)and VOILA! You can punch that button with a hammer and the E2 will not light. I'll probably still get a retrofit
L.O. tailpiece when/if it becomes available because it's more elegant than my current method.
Try it, it works.

Brightnorm

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Don\'t complain about the E2 non-lockout tailpiece if you haven\'t tried THIS.....

This is why i don't see why people are so concerned about a lock-out feature. But there may be some ignorance on my part for i have never used OR been in a "tactical" situation that required a lock-out feature. But for me, an everyday user, all i have to do is unscrew the tail cap a little so that more pressure is required to activate the light - hence a lesser chance for wasted batteries.

But, please explain why a lock out feature is important to most of you. Is it becuase it's just a nice feature to have? Or do you need it in tactical situations?

P.S. I must add this again...and again.
The E2 is ONE, DAMN GOOD LIGHT! Perfect! IMHO

WaltH

Enlightened
Re: Don\'t complain about the E2 non-lockout tailpiece if you haven\'t tried THIS.....

The 2 advantages of the lockout tailcap are:
1. You do not waste batteries.
2. With the heat generated by the bulb you don't set your pack on fire.

And of course it's a neat feature.

Size15's

Flashaholic

3. The LockOut TailCap is sealed sinlge unit and waterproof.

Al

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the E2 no longer waterproof if the bezel is unscrewed 1 turn?

Just curious. If it's in a pack, then the time required to find and remove it negates any "tactical use", so the "bezel unscrew" doesn't sound that bad as a safety mechanism. It would be best if it remained watertight, though, in case the pack got dunked.

Size15's

Flashaholic

The LockOut TailCap is sealed so that it remains waterproof in the Locked Out position, and whilst being used. SureFires such as the Millennium Series and all SureFires that feature a LockOut TailCap as standard have double o-ring seals on the TailCap end so that the TailCap can be rotated underwater, although I would advise against doing this too much.

Because the current E Series, and G2 do not have TailCaps, they are most water-resistant when the TailCap is screwed all the way on. If you require a SureFire that can be stored, transported and used underwater or in a very wet/humid environment, then an -N Certified Millennium Series model is what I'd suggest.

When the E2 Elite is available, if it is possible, I will get one that has been -N Certified. Likewise with the 2002 G2 (I hope it comes with LockOut TailCap!)

Al

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, but, is the E2 no longer waterproof if the bezel (not the tailcap) is unscrewed 1 turn?

e.g. Is the highest point on the O-ring on the bezel seal exposed when unscrewed 1 turn? (there IS an O-ring on the bezel seal, isn't there? - I don't have one, that's why I'm asking.)

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

is the E2 no longer waterproof if the bezel (not the tailcap) is unscrewed 1 turn?

No, unfortunately not- see.....

<center>
e2headofforing.jpg
</center>

...the o-ring is seated right at the bottom of the threads and usually sits in a bit of a recess in the back of the head. Unscrewed a bit and it won`t light any more, and....

<center>
e2headunscrewed1turn.jpg
</center>

...the o-ring disengages and water can flood in. Not good for bulb, batteries or light.

Please excuse the little spots of blu-tack and the green Xmas bulbs, it`s "that time of year" again soon, and I`ve been painting hundreds of bulbs cos I couldn`t get them in the right colours to begin with.
rolleyes.gif

I think a LockOut Clickie tail cap for the existing Executive range would be a great idea- I`d buy one, so long as it didn`t cost too much.

shocked.gif
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Suggested Retail at $25 would be about the most I'd pay (but then most Dealers would not charge anywhere close to suggested retail)

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic

ChrisM.

Thanks for the photos. Actually the slightest fraction of a counterclockwise rotation will disarm the light, though it could be jostled back to 'on' in your pocket.
When I'm in bad weather I use the E2 conventionally, then replace it in my (enlosed) belt holster.
I believe the tail switch evolved to answer LEO need for a tactical+weapons use light.
For the average user the "Tac position" using the tail button is almost irrelevant and most people prefer a body switch. That's why there are times when I use the E2 "bezel on/off switch" in conventional "flashlight position". It is easy, convenient and very practical. (But not when it's raining!)

Thanks for all the input.

PS When/if a L.O. tailswitch retrofit becomes available, I'll definitely get one, but I'll still use the "bezel on/off switch" at times.

Regards,
Brightnorm

Latest posts