Costco Led Lights

edwardv

Newly Enlightened
The Costco lights have gone on sale, now $25 were $29. I like them. Though of the two I got one is better than the other.

Does anyone know what Luxeon leds are used in these lights. I suspect they are 1 watt leds, but the packaging does not say.

Thanks,
ed

edwardv

Newly Enlightened
Yes, thank you taiji, the review at had everything I needed to know except the type of Luxeon used. These lights seem to be massively over built.

The first thing I did was to swap in some 2500 mAh Energizer batteries. They work great. But I think I caught the bug; I want more, brighter, more throw, longer lasting.

ed

The_virus

Enlightened
I'll have to take a trip to Costco and check these out, they also sell double packs of Dorcy Spyders which I'm not terribly interested in, but will probably look at anyways.

I'd suggest checking out the Dorcy 3AAA Luxeon. It's a Lux I and fairly bright. It currently outshines my Streamlight TaskLight 3AA Luxeon, but I highly suspect that's due to the older batteries in the TaskLight. It's still a nice light, fits very well in the palm. I got mine at Best Buy surprisingly, near the cashes and the other impulse buy stuff, cost me $38 I think...Canadian dollars. A bit big (fat, not long) for an EDC, but I really like it for its size, brightness and overall feel. One gripe is that I don't think it's waterproof at all, the switch has just a plastic cap that pops upwards when you shake the light or hold it so the switch is on the underside...water could easily get in around the switch. It comes with batteries though, so I figure I got a pretty good light for the price.

I like the TaskLight Luxeon a lot too though, great spot, looks like a full moon.

I have a UK 4AA eLED, Streamlight JR Luxeon and Gerber LX 3.0 on order, I should get all 3 in about a week and a half. BrightGuy is out of stock on the LX3, so they're waiting for them to come in to ship all 3 together...they told me ~7 days to receive the LX3's then they'll ship. If I remember, I'll post any thoughts I have and let you know what throws farther, shines brighter etc.

Remember also that there are some great incandescent lights out there. The Princeton Tec Surge is awesome...takes 8AAs (included) then blasts the power out of a halogen bulb. I lit up a stop sign about 300m away with this thing, it really is bright, plus it's dive rated. I do love LEDs, but I still like the occasional incandescent light.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can improve the Costco lights a lot for not much money (about $9 including shipping each) by replacing the optic with a 27 mm reflector and a 29.3 mm mineral glass. Result looks like this.
(reflectorized version is on the left)

The details are in this thread .

When I did it, it increased the hotspot brightness from about 500 cd to over 700 cd, and gave wider and smoother sidespill. Reduced the hotspot size (can't get something for nothing), but was a considerable improvement.

edwardv

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a nice mod, nerdgineer.

One of the things I don't like is that you can't stand them on end.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first time I've seen the runtime. Thanks flashlightreviews.com! 4hours 47minutes to 50% with a fairly flat discharge curve. That's amazing for a $14 light with this kind of output. Not the most light weight or small, but still a great value. Must resist temptation to pick up more of these.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
This is the first time I've seen the runtime. Thanks flashlightreviews.com!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Furzork

Newly Enlightened
The Costco lights are even cheaper now at $14.97 for a two-pack! I had been ignoring them before since I couldn't justify another 2AA Lux 1 light but at about $7.50 each I couldn't resist. The ones I got were nice and white.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only down to $25 for the two-pack by me.

At $15, I'd buy a bunch!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be going to Costco later today!!! If I find any of these for the prices said here, I will adjust the beams in the way that has been working well for me, then sell them individually in the B/S/T forum.

edwardv

Newly Enlightened
I am going to the Costco here in Austin, if they are down to $15 I will buy at least two packs.

ed

edwardv

Newly Enlightened
Just checked the prices at the Austin, Costco and they are still $25. Rats.

ed

recon225

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone find the body to be too slippery? I wrapped it with Hockey tape and it helps but it doesn't look that great. What have anyone else done besides the 3m Safety Walk Outdoor Tread that was mentioned in the FlashlightReviews.com?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put t thick o-ring into the groove in the body (near the tail). It sticks out and gives me a better grip on the light. Doesn't look too bad, either.