Surefire L2 LED Life increased if used in Low?

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Surefire L2 is rated 500-1000 hours or so. I assume that rating is for HIGH output only, at low output I assume the LED life would much be much higher - similar to 3W or 1W Luxeons of 100,000 hours?

Is this a correct assumption?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know that a 5watt would last 100,000 hours on the L2's low mode, but my guess would be that it would last significantly longer than the 500 hour mark. I believe that is average life span of a 5watt to 50% when it is run at specs.
Others may be better informed about this though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Luna

Enlightened
Seriously, why worry about it? Use it and then enjoy the technology of the time when it does fail. If you are concerned about the cost, just remember the emitter isn't that expensive. When you take note of the predicted flux increase of 30% each year, that 100+lumen now won't be jack.

Has anyone gotten an answer regarding led being covered by the Surefire warranty? Given they have the no questions asked/no hassle policy it might not be a problem anyways

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
iocheretyanny said:
Surefire L2 is rated 500-1000 hours or so. I assume that rating is for HIGH output only, at low output I assume the LED life would much be much higher - similar to 3W or 1W Luxeons of 100,000 hours?

Is this a correct assumption?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the led is getting less power supplied to it (most importantly less heat), then I think it will last longer...so my opinion says that on low the L2 would likely last longer more hours than on high. I could be wrong easily though. The Surefire experts that post here can answer your question with more certainty ...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do realize that at 1 hour of use a night, that 1000 hours is going to be close to 3 years? And it's going to be 2000 batteries through that light. By the time you've used the light to that extent, you've truly gotten the most out of it. If it does fail due to the LED going dim, burning out or something, I am quite sure you can contact SF, tell them the LED module has dimmed significantly or burned out, and they will take care of it for you.

Besides, there has never been a documented case of field failure of a Luxeon V here on CPF, whether in Surefire, custom, modified, or any other light for that matter. Don't worry about it. How likely are you to use up that many hours?