Newbie needs LED comparison

Fabricator

Newly Enlightened
The only led flashlight I have is a Dorcy 3AAA LS.Is the Nuwai QIII brighter than the Dorcy.On Flashlightreviews the Dorcy has 24throw and 38output and the QIII has 19throw and 24output but on TheLEDMuseum the QIII cranks double the mcd's as the Dorcy.Could someone explain the differance.I acually have been looking for a 2 cell 123 flashlight that has good throw and output.Last question on LED color.To me the Dorcy Luxeon 1w led is really white in color and this is my prefered tint.Do not like the real bluish color.What would you call the tint on the Dorcy?Thanks for your time.

NetMage

Enlightened
The QIII is a 1x123 light.

Compared to my white/blue QIII with R123 and AR Mineral Lens, it seems about the same throw but not as much total output. The spot versus spill is more clearly defined on the Dorcy, with the QIII having a brighter spill.

The QIII has very smooth output compared to the Dorcy's obvious rings and artifacts in its hotspot.

I have the Nuwai 2x123 5Watt, and it is a flood light that is fairly bright, but quite heavy. I am waiting on the TM-301X-3 which I will run on R123 as well.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I wish I had written down the bin of the luxeon in my Dorcy 3xAAA before I accidentally demolished it trying to get it to work in a Dorcy 1xAAA. I think that it was SV1J, but I really could be very wrong. I remember the 3xAAA hotspot impressing me so much because it was noticeably brighter than my XM-3 when held side by side. The color was warmer than the more blue XM-3. I still hope to get to use that big Dorcy reflector for something good in the future.

I don't want to go out on a limb, but I think that the hotspot on the Dorcy 3xAAA would even beat my QIII with the 20mm IMS smooth reflector on primary cr123 (I don't have rechargeables yet).

I just tried to measure the Dorcy reflector. The effort was hampered by the fact that I can't get it out of the head of the flashlight, so a margin of error will exist. I came out with something like 28mm wide and 23mm deep versus the IMS relector for my QIII at 20mm wide and 15mm deep. That seems to me to help explain the Dorcy's very respectable beam. Still, though I going only on memory from a couple of months ago about the Dorcy 3xAAA being lit up.

Man, I thought I was going to be helpful, but I'm afraid I just muddled things more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif