Help me justify a KL4 purchase

ob1

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a KL1 for my E2e which I was going to use as my EDC, but walking around here at night I need more of a flood to see where Im going at night(I just sprained my ankle an hour ago walking to work). I wanted to know what people thought about the KL4 bezel.

I looked on Quickbeams site and saw that the L4 (which has the KL4 bezel)is only less then 600 lux??? I EDC a Streamlight Luxeon Jr which is rated at 442 on Quickbeams site. I just looked at the price of the KL4 and its over twice the price of the KL1 bezel. Is it worth the purchase????

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
KL4 is what you need. Take a look at the overall output numbers, they tell a better story. The KL4 is a better choice for your needs. I have both and EDC the KL4 on a VG1 with an R123. The KL1 is on my nightstand and is extremely bright, but doesn't light up the whole room and wake anyone.
They show up for sale on the B/S/T forums and I got a good deal after waiting for one to show up. A QIII would be a good choice to tide you over.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
AH! I didn't look at the overal numbers. I had an E1e which i believe is similar in size to the QIII and I didnt like the way it felt in my hand. Its too small. I planned on getting some pila 168s batteries to feed it.

Anymore L4 owners? I want to here your input....

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Get the KL4 - and get one of the McGizmo 2 stage switches. You'll have a terrifically useful light. I understand what you mean about the E1e - I've got one with a KL1 on it, and I really like it because I can carry it everywhere. But it is small - I can see how someone wouldn't like that.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo Trim McE2s 22 ohm 2 stage switch is on its way! Where should I buy the KL4 from?

Joseph

Enlightened
Once you get L4, you'll be carrying a small SUN in your hand. No need to move your hands to look for something within 30ft. It just lights up all!

I'm now waiting for e1e body and r123s to run them. So excited!

Joseph

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all the lights I own, the L4 is still one of my all time favorite lights. The only possible upgrade you might want to consider is the McE2s switch. This light is good to go right out of the box. If you want a "wall of light" for walking around, the L4 just might be impossible to top.

I tried a KL4 head on an E1 but it was a little anemic with only one C123. I am running a KL4 head modded with a Lux 3 on an E1 body and that works great.

lak

Newly Enlightened
KL4 puts out a lot more light than KL1. But if you just want to turn your KL1 into a flood beam, all you need is a F04 Beam shaper.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 is a great floodlight. The hotspot (which is quite large) is about the same brightness of a QIII. BUT, you get the brightness and throw of a QIII in a hotspot that is 3-4 times as large. It's a pretty amazing amount of light for it's size. I'd say go for it.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is going to put out a whole lot more light than a Q3. If you need a flood type light with very little throw, then the L4 is it.

If you are looking for something with a decent flood but with more throw, the Q3 may just do you nicely, at a lot less expense.

As for general use, most people rarely need a bunch of throw. A light that will reach out to 15 yards or so is more than enough. An L4 with the two stage switch should do nicely.

I wouldn't buy one new though. Not if I had a choice, anyway.

Why don't you just post something in the BST forum and see if you can buy one from a fellow CPFer. At the very least, the will take some of the gamble out of the tint of the luxeon that you get.

When I need something with a fairly broad beam and pretty good throw, I usually grab and Aleph II. I only went this route, due to concerns about runtime and heat. With the two stage switch, these may not be an issue for you.