Did anyone else see Mount St. Helens?

Nitnos

Newly Enlightened
Was just wondering if other CPF'ers in Washington State saw the 30,000 ft. St. Helens plume this evening? It's a shame we have ash to clean up now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif TIA.

Nitnos

lymph

Enlightened
Didn't see anything. No ash here in Seattle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I kind of wish there was something to see from here.

loalight

Enlightened
I was washing a window on Orcas Island on May 18, 1980, when she blew the last time. Couple hundred miles away, and I hear this amazing subsonic rumble and watch this huge plate glass window bow in and out a couple *inches*... quite an experience. I still have jars of ash from that eruption. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nitnos

Newly Enlightened
I was outside my house and saw this huge plume of ash rising and instantly knew what it was. I watched it grow until it hit the jet stream and it took off towards my house! We were warned not to go outside for a few hours yesterday evening, but it is not as bad today as I thought it would be. Thanks for the feedback. This was a new experience for me and one I'm sure I won't forget.

Nitnos

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
they keep saying she's not going to erupt violently. i have my suspicions.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few months ago they were saying there's like a 70% chance there would be a big eruption. They have no idea what they're talking about...it's like the weather, they're usually just guessing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Witnessed & participated in city wide ash cleanup for quite awhile when Mt. Spurr erupted 1992 across the inlet from Anchorage.

Check the "Alaska Volcano Observatory" website out. Pay particular attention to "this graph" showing activity levels from early 90's till now..."something's happening" for sure.

Now check out this "Webicorder" chart indicating the activity levels in the last 24 hours!

The "Ring of Fire" is certainly active!!

I'm not sure what sort of websites you have down there, but there's just a tremendous amount of information and education on the "AVO" site!

Oh yeah, I probably have 55 gallons of ash in buckets in my tool shed...why? Secret project! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously I did have a "plan" for it...just haven't gotten it off the ground since 1992! I have seen folks melt it down and make glass projects (vases, plates, ornaments, etc.) out of it though. I've got an analysis around here somewhere as to it's makeup...shocking how high it is on the hardness scale. It can really trash up an engine or turbine!