options for E2E upgrade path? good SF dealer?

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, longtime lurker, infrequent poster.

I have two SureFire E2E lights and now both have burned-out bulbs. I refuse to pay $17 each just to get back to rapidly dimming, unregulated incandescent light. If money was no object I would just order an A2, but...!

What are my options for getting a regulated head assembly for my E2E bodies? I've used the search function but there is so much info I get confused, especially with the "Aleph" products.

Also, who offers the best prices on Surefire items? AFAIK there are dealers out there who offer Surefire products below MSRP but you have to phone/email them for pricing.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
you could purchase the KL1 LED assembly and use it on your E2E body. The LED will not burn out and you will solve that problem.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Both the KL1 head and the KL4 head will fit on the E2 bodies. Both heads are regulated.

I believe the Aleph heads are also compatible with E-series bodies.

The B/S/T forum usually has some pretty good deals.

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
deranged_coder said:
Hmmm... IIRC the TW4 combo will run for about 20 mins on a primary cell before falling out of regulation. You will get better runtime with a R123 (3.7V rechargeable).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, KL4+E1e (TW4) does not run regulated at all right from the get go. It dims gradually and the runtime is surprisingly long (and it runs totally cool). R123 will give you a brighter regulated light; OTOH 1xCR123 will give you a dimmer but much much longer runtime. The brightness and run time would depend on your particular LED.

Check out this thread:
Single 123 light shoot out

The beam shot pictures do not seem to load any more. But from the description, you can see that KL4+E1e is still at ARC AAA brightness level at 3 1/2 hours, whereas all other regulated lights did not last more than 50-75 minutes.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the dilemma that brought me to CPF. My E1e was used so often that I blew the MN01 lamp, and faced with a choice of $15 and an option to keep replacing the MN01, I decided that it would be logical to step up to a LED.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then I found this nest of freaks as a result.... and I was assimilated
abducted.gif

Not that I would have it any other way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Either the KL1 or the KL4 are great LEDs. Send jcciv a PM, I think he has some KL4s in stock right now. The KL4 is a bit pricier, but what an awesome wall of light it puts out. You might just never go back to the MN03 lamp, although you could get it from him if you need one.

The Aleph system is great if you want to get heavily involved and build a light EXACTLY to your specifications. The complexity derives from the huge range of options, but it also enables you to get exactly what you want, no more, no less. Check out the McGizmo forum for the Aleph FAQ by Kiessling - great explanation of all it can do.