...so i gave in and bought a bigger stunt kite...

Leeoniya

Enlightened
just to give you an idea of scale....wingtip to wingtip is 7.5ft. it uses 150lb test lines. i'm gonna need to strap myself to trees in any winds over 10mph...it's designed for up to 25mph winds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

can't wait for it to get warm so i can try it out. all i have now is a cheepo stunt kite which i fly a lot but it's only 3ft wingspan and it has a lot of hot pink in it, sort of an imasculating, whimpy kite. in other words, i really do believe i am taking my life into my own hands when this $140 monster comes out to play.

isn't it pretty? can't wait till it gets here, and gets warm.
7844-ICE.jpg

Leon

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ...so i gave in and bought a bigger stunt kite

Dang, I remember seeing some video of those things. They go SO incredibly fast from side to side and what not.
Its truly insane how fast they move.

Leeoniya

Enlightened

yeah, when you havent flown one for a while, takeoff can be scary and aggrivating. it's no fun watching such a perfect, elegant shape in an instant do a 180 and crash nose first or wing first into the ground shortly after takeoff because your lines are of slightly different length. never fails to get me to cringe. but with carbon fiber you just walk a 75 yards out and put all the pieces back into place and do it all over again several times. until it finally rips your arms off of your torso. and then it gets fun. hehe.

gessner17

Enlightened

I think I have that exact kite, is that a Prism Quantum? I used to have an 12 footer, it was absolutely awsome, it would drag you on the ground in 15+ MPH winds.

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
Cool! I have a big stunter with 8' span also on 150lb. lines. It really pulls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The model I have is very loud also! Rated to 25mph like yours, however I've flown in gusty conditions up near 35mph. (dangerous, and about the limit of my skills and physical strength with this kite) I would recommend getting some 'Wind Tamers' if gusty winds are the norm where you intend to fly. (these look like short sections of pingpong net that attaching between the kite bridle and the lines and can be used in single or multiple configurations. They do make a difference in taking the 'edge' off the gusts)Looks like we shop at the same kite store (IntoTheWind) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I doubt that you'll need to really tie yourself down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm fairly light at 165 lbs. and my kite won't lift me. However, I do have to dig in hard while wearing cleats if the winds are 20+. -That or do the 'dance', (wind gusts and you resist, but let it pull you forward, walking or hopping, then you retreat or backup again after the gust.) These big kites really workout the upper back muscles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Happy flying,
Gabe

gessner17

Enlightened
Cool, I'm sure those are nice too, I love my quantum, it can withstand heavy crashes, I bust a pole once, but it is expected. I flew it in too much wind, one of my lines snapped and the force busted the leading edge pole.