Which 2 and 3 cell Incan Surefire would you buy?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No M3s (Perfect world where I had money, I'd get a M3T and the KL6)
The 6P is the original, but the C2 has HA III and the grip and can run the KL5 while not being bezel heavt, but the G2Z is cheaper and more resistant to bumps, but the M2 has the added O-Rings for water resistance

On the 9V P9x lamp series lamps, we only have the 9P, which ia a bargin @ $75, but the C3 Centurion has HA III
Thanks

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Re: Which 2 and 3 cell Incan Surefire would you bu

2 cell: Strangely enough, you have not mentioned the lights I currently have and am quite happy with. I have gone with the E2e-HA and G2-OD. The G2 was my first Surefire light and still stays with me in my jacket pocket. It is inexpensive and the Nitrolon polymer is pretty resistant to bumps, as you have noted. Only downside is the lack of LOTC but the 2005 G2's are supposed to have an LOTC so that will no longer be an issue. The E2e-HA I got because it was very compact and you can toss on a KL1 (regulated, old style head had decent output with good spill, new style throws fairly well) or KL4 (regulated, produces a nice, even wall of light) head for flexibility.

Also, have you considered the A2? The A2 is in a class of its own as the only regulated incan light.

E

Emilion

M3's bezel is bigger and throw further.....but for the $$$, I think C3 is a good choice.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

A2 for me, and I did. I love that light already and I am a predominantly LED man.

Scott

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: I already have a G2OD and I think I'll grab a new LOTC tailcap and G2Z bezel for it. If I ever go the grip ring route, I'll grab a C2 or a G2Z.
I think I'll just grab a 9P. The C3 is a lot more expensive. I also don't like the grip ring on big, long lights. HA 9P, would be perfect.
Still like to hear opinions!

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend SF-A2, if I could keep only one SF incan. That would be a very sad day. But, it would be the A2. Of all the SF product I own or have seen, the most perfect beam. Expensive, yes. I wish I would have made the A2 my first SF purchase. My .02 cents worth.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the C3 very much. Same with E2E. 6P and 9Ps I like too, but I prefer HA 3 finish in the general.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
C3 is my favorite Surefire 3-cell. Bright, durable, and feels very good in the hand. And runs on Pilas!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own the C2 and though I am unlikely to ever use it in an offensive capacity, I find that the CombatGrip is a much easier way to draw and use the light. Naturally, mine is carried bezel down. The CombatGrip has left such an impression that nowadays, I hold even things like my L4 and my U2 that way, though they don't have the grip rings, I make do with the anodizing. It seems so logical now.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If cost is really a huge factor, go for the C2 and get an A19 extender so you can run 3 cells in it - P90/91 included. Take off the A19 and knock it down to two cells.

If you can afford two lights, go for the E2e which will enable you to buy into the E-series lights. It is small, tiny, and even lighter than the G2. Then go for the C3 with the Combatgrip, HA3 and clip. You'll appreciate the clip for bezel-up belt carry because then you need not buy a separate holster for it.

The A2 is also an awesome recommendation because of the regulated incan and it gives you two-stage lighting capability with LEDs and an incan - it will enable you to cover more scenarios with just one light. I love variable power lights. The A2 is the ONLY Surefire two-stage incan.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
......The A2 is the ONLY Surefire two-stage incan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't the Dominator (x-10?) It has two separate bulbs but is two stage.
Edit--
[ QUOTE ]
10X Dominator

The 10X Dominator is the world's most advanced rechargeable flashlight. Dual reflectors and advanced technology combine to give you a choice of either a bright, long-running working beam (60 lumens for 3.0 hours), or- with a push of the two-stage switch- a searchlight-strength 500+ lumen beam that is 30 times brighter than a typical two D-cell flashlight. The molded portions of the 10X body and head are made of virtually indestructible aramid-composite polymer and the two reflectors are precision machined from solid bars of aerospace-grade aluminum.

[/ QUOTE ] It is a rechargeable not 2/3 cell though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif ooops....forgot the 10X!

The A2 is the small Surefire two-stage incan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

GarageBoy,

For what it's worth, here are my collected and considered thoughts on 2 & 3 cell SureFires:

OK. First, I think these get grouped into those which you can fit into a pocket for EDC, and those which can't. This means E2e, A2, L2, L4 in one group, and 6P, C2, M2, G2, G2Z, C3, M3, M3T in the other.

For the first group, I suggest an A2, but an L2, E2e, or L4 are also great. If you opt for an E2e or L4, I strongly recommend the clickie tail caps. The problem with the LOTC on an E2e, is that it is just too short to get a decent grip upon, and the LOTC requires significant hold down pressure. Plus, the E2e has a tendency to lie down in your pocket, which is very uncomfortable. This actually makes the A2 or L2 easier pocket carry lights, in my experience. Now, I prefer the A2 because I am one of those wacky incan guys who actually LIKES good incan light. But I won't go into any more detail. I have stated my opinion in various threads on the A2. A search will turn them up.

The U2 I have no experience with, so I don't know how or where it fits into the discussion, but if an M3 is too much cash, I guess that rules out the U2.

Now for the next group. OK. With this group, I think you're definitely going to want to be able to use the P61 (for the 2 cells), so I'd forget the G2 because its lexan lens will melt with extended P61 running. Next, I would rule out the 6P (or D2 or Z2) because they are not hard anodized. If your light is just going to sit around by your bedside, type II is fine, but if you're going to use it with any regularity, I personally just have to have type III anodize.

So that leaves the C2, M2, and G2Z. Now the thing about the C2 and M2, in my experience, is that the pocket clip gets in the way of a proper and comfortable grip when using the LOTC. I got rid of my D2 because my hand kept slipping when holding down the switch. So I picked up a C2, because I think the extra size of the S/I M2 bezel is too much--nice as an option, but I wouldn't want to be locked into it. And the grip ring helped matters, but there was something that was just plain not right. It bugged me for months and I just couldn't shake it. Again, I think with the Z58 clickie installed, the C2 would be just fine, but with the standard LOTC, I vote "no" to the C2. If you loose the clip, it's better, but even so, the square-ish body is just not quite right. And ruling out the Z2 (no type II) that leaves only the G2Z. Check out some of the threads on the G2Z, but people are generally very impressed by it. I don't own one, but I am going to buy one sooner or later. I think it is going to be a great buy. According to Size15s, you get the best shock isolation short of actually having a S/I bezel, and if you scratch the light, the scratch is the same color is the surface. Plus, it has a pyrex lens and LOTC and a combat grip with a round body and it comes with a lanyard.

G2Z is my current 2 cell recommendation, but again, I must point out that I haven't actually owned one yet, but I will soon, and I arrived at this choice by a process of elimination.

As far as 3 cell SF lights, if you're going to spend the money at all, get an M3 or M3T. Forget the C3. Similar reasoning as above.

There. Hope that helps. Good luck.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
6P is easily my favorite 2 cell Surefire, my E2E sits on my desk most of the time. The extra size and lack of a pocket clip of the 6P is a bonus for me, much more comfortable in my hand.
For 3 cell I'm looking forward to getting a 9P at some point, I don't want or need a combat grip and HA or standard anodize don't make a big difference to me.
My 6P and Z3 have room on the tailcap for a second O-ring.

wquiles

Flashaholic
The only "unique" 3xcell body from SF that I like is the L6/M3. Extremely versatile and strong. You can run LED's and incandecent options, and with an A19 even hold 4 batteries. That would be the only one I would buy - which I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

For a two cell, the Brinkman Maxfire is a bargain while ofering G2-type performance, looks, etc., and any other two cell from SF is too expensive when compared to MacGizmos' alternates or even Vital Gear options if you want the harder finish (H-III).

As to the actual heads/bezel/LE, I think that the KL4 is pretty awesome for a factory unit. Same for the KL1 given its good trow. On the incandecent side, the P90 lamp on a 2xR123's is a great little combo (even if it does not have super long run time). The LE's for the M3 and Turbo heads are very good and strong.

Still, for a newbe, it is hard to go wrong with most SF units, specially the smaller, executive series. The "problem" is that once you know the alternatives, you realize that in terms of bang for the buck, other alternatives are more efficient and/or elss expensive.

I used to own a SF Outdoorsman, E2E, and L4. I no longer do. I only have a KL4 and an L6 at the moment and don't think I will own any other in the near future given the options available.

Just my opinnion,
Will

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
2cell- A2 and G2Z

3cell- depends so much on how you will use it, but go ahead and get the M3T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Starting from scratch I would buy an A2 and a G2Z (& P61 Lamp).

For the three-SF123A I would start with the M3T.

It appears leukos read my mind!

Size15's

Flashaholic

If I had no flashlights at all the first I would get would be the L2.
Then the A2.
Then the M3T.

Al