Results of integrating sphere tests.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi,

Just finished the first batch of integrating sphere tests on some of my torches - more to be added when I get around to doing them.

OK - here goes!

Aleph I 2x123A TXOJ 700 mA 20 Ohm = 5.78 Lumens
Aleph I 2x123A TXOJ 700 mA High = 56.7 Lumens

Aleph II 2x123A TX1J 500 mA 20 Ohm = 6.17 Lumens
Aleph II 2x123A TX1J 500 mA High = 48.7 Lumens

Aleph III 2x123A TXOJ 917 mA 20 Ohm = 5.78 Lumens
Aleph III 2x123A TXOJ 917 mA High = 67.2 Lumens

Nuwai Q-III TYOK = 25.4 Lumens

Surefire U2 High = 113 Lumens (Good tint with just a hint of green on low)

All tests conducted with fresh SF 123A lithium batteries with light running for about 30 seconds to warm up.

More to follow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Cheers,

Ian

cy

Flashaholic
WOW many thanks for this valuable information!!

sure hope you don't mind us pestering you with details.

what's the driver for LE
how many cells?
what's the voltage on cells?
is it possible to switch LE from Aleph 1 to 3, to see if the lumens gains were from larger relector?

Aleph I TXOJ 20 Ohm = 5.78 Lumens
Aleph I TXOJ High = 56.7 Lumens

Aleph II TX1J 20 Ohm = 6.17 Lumens
Aleph II TX1J High = 56.7 Lumens

Aleph III TXOJ 20 Ohm = 5.78 Lumens
Aleph III TXOJ High = 67.2 Lumens

Surefire U2 High = 113 Lumens (Good tint with just a hint of green on low)

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi,

Forgot to put the drive currents for the Aleph's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif so edited to correct.

Ian

chrisse242

Enlightened
Ouch, that result for the nuwai Q3 will hurt some people.

Keep them coming, you're about to become a local hero.

Chrisse

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ian, that is truly awesome information. So, with a little bit of overdrive, good Luxeon 3s can surpass the 65 lumen mark.

I've always held that the first batch of U2s, at least, is definitely over 100 lumens. Thanks for the work, the numbers are appreciated!

nexro

Enlightened
The Alephs does give some really nice results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you don't mind me asking (newbie in light measurement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), is the light you are measuring placed in the sphere or is it just shined into the sphere?

What about other results for different levels of your U2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Minimoog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
The Alephs does give some really nice results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you don't mind me asking (newbie in light measurement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), is the light you are measuring placed in the sphere or is it just shined into the sphere?

What about other results for different levels of your U2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nexro,

The light is placed in the sphere and then the door shut. All the output (hotspot and spill) is then gathered.

Other levels of the U2 will be one of my next things to do.

Cheers,

Ian

*Retired*
Remember the Aleph has a nice machined reflector, with a decent reflector surface, which helps compared to a standard flash coated nickel surface found on cheap reflectors like the ones from IMS. This helps a little.

Curious, on your Aleph lights, do you have the special UCL lenses too?

Any flashaholic buddies of yours happen to have a LH? It would be interesting to see how they do with their 1.2A to the Luxeon.

I assume you did all these tests with cool flashlights, initial power on, instead of running them until they reached their steady state warm temperature?

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi NewBie,

yes, my Aleph's have the UCL glass (as does the Q-III), however when you run the Q-III and 500 mA Aleph II side by side, the Aleph smokes the Q-III.

Don't have a Lionheart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif but one could soon be tested and added (thanks to a CPF member). Keep a look out.

I will also be testing my M6 with HOLA & LOLA soon.

Cheers,

Ian

beakman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Soundbox said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, if you take Quickbeam's Lightbox measurement of 1900 QUPS for the Q-III, and multiply it by the 0.0144 lumens/QUP conversion factor I mentioned in this previous post , you get about 27.4 lumens. So it looks like Quickbeam's QUP measurements and my conversion factor aren't too shabby!

Of course, I'd like to see additional integrating sphere testing of lights Quickbeam has reviewed, to see how well this conversion holds up. All in the name of science, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the beakman

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
[b The light is placed in the sphere and then the door shut. All the output (hotspot and spill) is then gathered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soundbox, do you compensate in any way for the light absorbed by the different types of finishes on the light bodies? For example, an olive drab or matte finish will absorb more of the light's output than a shiny stainless or aluminum finish. And a large area of olive drab or matte finish will absorb more output than a small area. This is just something to consider when using an integrating sphere which can only measure the light that reaches the sensor. Ideally, all surfaces within the sphere would be highly reflective.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Totally awesome - thanks for the good work and sharing the data with all of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you also able to measure CCT and CRI with your integrating sphere setup? It would be interesting to also have this information for comparing different lights.

Thanks for offering your services for our viewing and light comparison pleasure.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Yo Guys! Let's not forget that the Integrating Sphere (IS) does NOT belong to Soundbox!!! We should send a "Thank You" to Soundbox's boss for letting him use the IS for his personal use. I suspect that as Soundbox and his fellow workers come up on the learning curve, the personnal use of the IS will get greatly reduced!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....very shocked about the QIII. Seems like it would be brighter than that compared to an L4.

Anyway, Thanks!!! Very nice of you and your boss!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beakman said:
[ QUOTE ]
Soundbox said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, if you take Quickbeam's Lightbox measurement of 1900 QUPS for the Q-III, and multiply it by the 0.0144 lumens/QUP conversion factor I mentioned in this previous post , you get about 27.4 lumens. So it looks like Quickbeam's QUP measurements and my conversion factor aren't too shabby!

Of course, I'd like to see additional integrating sphere testing of lights Quickbeam has reviewed, to see how well this conversion holds up. All in the name of science, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the beakman

[/ QUOTE ]

Beakman,

Excellent analysis and observation. I'm going to include your conversion factor on the site. I think I can get away with it without too many people calling me on the carpet if I word it properly. Well done!

Doug P.

And a big thank you! to Soundbox for your readings! You're going to be a popular guy around here if you can have continued access to that sphere! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts