SAIC w/Surefire win DARPA contract, Afghan., Iraq

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Darpa-fl-sm.jpg

SAIC Press Release

(SAN DIEGO AND MCLEAN, VA) - Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) announced today that the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has awarded SAIC a contract to deliver 800 high-performance solid state flashlight prototypes. The flashlights will be supplied to U.S. forces deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq for in-the-field experimental evaluation and feedback.

"SAIC and SureFire, LLC, a leading manufacturer of tactical flashlights have been collaborating for several years to develop new technologies that enhance flashlight performance. This DARPA project will experimentally evaluate the effectiveness of inserting a range of state-of-the-art optical technologies into these flashlights, while maintaining the same form factor that troops in the field are already using."

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Re: SAIC w/Surefire win DARPA contract, Afghan., I

I want two of those...does anyone who has a friend working at Surefire know if they may be offered to civilians without the IR option?

Richard

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

"....while maintaining the same form factor that troops in the field are already using."

Sounds like the Anglelux!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those guys in Afghan are lucky only for one reason.. they play with lights that arent even available to civilians yet. Most of them probably dont even realize the value of those things.

Malpaso

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
they play with lights that arent even available to civilians yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing they don't consider it playing...

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

"In addition to the main white-light dimmable output, the flashlights also will be capable of emitting red, green, blue and infrared light."

That would make it a very interesting light.

best regards

Lara

Newly Enlightened

Something must be wrong with me! I always want what I can't get... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I seriously did a double take when I saw that picture. I was like....hmmm...U2, nice light. Would they really put the U2 in such an application?

Wait... that's not a U2!! That light has one heck of a cool bezel. It looks like the standard U2 body and clickie with custom engraving, which would make sense to cut cost/speed production for Surefire, but the bezel is definitely custom. Looking at my U2 compared to that picture, it seems that they kept the base of the bezel as well, the part with the selector ring, and the top of the light. It looks like they ripped out the midsection and replaced it with something else. Of course, the innards would be different.

Polymer lens - well, guess no Pyrex there. Still, where do I send Paypal? I would love to handle one of those.

Size15's

Flashaholic

The 'lens' is what we call the "optic".
The window is Pyrex.

The output, well, we can only dream I guess.

luxlover

Banned

Photonboy,
Good news on this variation of the U2, for our soldiers who need every break we can give them. When I hear that a government contract is being awarded to an American company for Department of Defense work, I get goose bumps all over. Back in Los Angeles in 1978, where I got my training for the drafting career I have had for 27 years, I used to do contractual work at many different companies dealing with national defense projects. But in 1989 when the Berlin Wall was knocked down, all of those great projects died, because the Cold War died. Prior to that, it brought me great joy to serve my country in the small way that I did. Patriotism was great in the work force, back then.

Now SureFire has been awarded "another" contract which they so rightly deserve. They will undoubtedly continue to serve our soldiers well with their powerful and dependable lights and accessories. Since I have a few SureFire lights in my arsenal, I am proud to know that the company who supplied me my lights in times of peace, is being acknowledged by the Department of Defense once again, as a leader in military based lighting in times of war. I am having kittens, imagining what features will be designed into this light project.

I love this country!!!!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
The 'lens' is what we call the "optic".
The window is Pyrex.

The output, well, we can only dream I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops. No wonder I thought I saw a KL1-style optic in that small picture. I love Pyrex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Output and availability, ahh, now that is a dream. All we need is one of these to pop up on a raffle or B/S/T.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

GeoffChan

Enlightened

the optics looks like it came from a lighthouse. I think this will get rid of the doughnut effect with their lights.

Geoff

Sixpointone

Enlightened

Wow! This seems fascinating to me to say the least. And of course, it goes without saying that this sounds like great news for the troops too.

ob1

Newly Enlightened

I want!