Reverse Polarity EverLED in a 2-D Mag?

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
I just got a reverse polarity EverLed from eBay; tried it out in a lantern but decided I would get better use out if I put it in something else.

So, I flipped the batteries in my 2-D mag and put it in. It didn't work. Then I tried it in my 4-D mag (with the batteries flipped). It works. (So now I have a regular EverLED in the 2-D and the reverse polarity one in the 4-D.)

Any reason why the reversed polarity EverLED would work in the 4-D but not the 2-D? Both are stock.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got me! I thought EverLED's reverse polarity was just protection against reverse polarity frying the LED, I didn't think it alowed the LED to work.
What happened with the 2 D is what I would expect, but the 4 D confuses me. Maybe the Mag factory got some contacts crossed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Got me! I thought EverLED's reverse polarity was just protection against reverse polarity frying the LED, I didn't think it alowed the LED to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't just reverse polarity protection -- EverLED makes a version that's meant to be used in lanterns and such. Here is brightguy's order page for it.

Hrm, it says on that page "The reverse polarity Everled is designed for applications where the negative battery terminal will be contacting the tip of the EverLed. Reverse Polarity Everleds are not designed for use in Maglite C or D cell flashlights." (italics added)

Is that "not designed for use" as in "may not work" or as in "don't do it, bad things will happen"?

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
My guess is the positive nipple on the battery was inside the spring in the tailcap and not making contact. The spring in the D cell mags is fairly wide at the end since it's designed for the negative end of the battery.
That or the little spring for the positive contact was squished enough to not make contact.

Grubbster

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
neogoon said:
So, I flipped the batteries in my 2-D mag and put it in. It didn't work. Then I tried it in my 4-D mag (with the batteries flipped). It works. (So now I have a regular EverLED in the 2-D and the reverse polarity one in the 4-D.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try stuffing a bit of rolled up tinfoil on the negative end of the cell that goes into the 2D first - probably not making contact with the "positive" contact - as it was meant to be seeing the nipple on the cell rather than the flat negative plate. The foil should sort that.

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:
Try stuffing a bit of rolled up tinfoil on the negative end of the cell that goes into the 2D first - probably not making contact with the "positive" contact - as it was meant to be seeing the nipple on the cell rather than the flat negative plate. The foil should sort that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi...looks like that did the trick. The reverse polarity EverLED looks like it's marginally shorter than the other one, so the bulb end wasn't making contact in the 2-D.

Since it works fine as-is with the 4-D, I put the reverse polarity one back into it, but I will keep that in mind if it ever becomes a problem.

Thanks!