PeakMcKinley-RCR123A

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Newbie to the CPF...so forgive any redundent questions !After reading threads, I assume OK to power Peak Brass McKinley 7/LED with Li-on RCR-123A cell ?? Some loss of LED life ?? You have a great Form here !!! Thanx

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a short period of time, a few days, I used without difficulty a rechargeable 123 Li-on cell in my regular power white McKinley. That cell came off my charger at about 3.75 volts or so. YMMV.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that the the Peak McKinley 123 is underdriven. So I did what anyone else would do, I use R123 (4.26V) for mine. So far so good after 2 charges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Thanks gentlemen !! It also seems that the "Battery Station" is a good place to get the R123 cells and charger??

Bob
-----------------------
MORE POWER !!! I REALLY wanna RGB--> single well or DPSS White output Laser Torch !!!!!!!!!! SOMEDAY !

Face

Enlightened
XPITXBULLX

How much brighter would you say that you McKinley is using a R123?

Thanks,

Face

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, it's probably not necessary to remind everyone that replacing your McKinley has now become somewhat difficult in case there's an overvoltage problem using rechargeables.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak is regulated. I ran a lux test and the R123 battery only increased the lux by about 15%. You wont notice the difference with the naked eye. Even though I use R123 for mine, you will get much better runtime off of a regular CR123a and almost equal brightness. Running 4V+ is only going to get you similar light and half the runtime.

I would suggest sticking with CR123a batteries. Why do I use R123 you may ask? I hate buying batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Anybody else with experience using rechargeables in the Mckinley? Especially long term usage. I just got my Mckinley today and its a Great light.

I did a quick experiment on the light and measured the draw with both the battery that came with it and a rechargeable.

Type-Battery voltage-Amperage draw-watts
123 3.12 0.54A 1.648
R123 4.13 0.4 1.652

I was using the voltage of the batteries when they werent under load. So unless the two battery chemistries act significantly different under load they appear to be drawing close to the same amount of power.(The voltage regulation maybe)? More technically inclined people please chime in. I just want to know if rechargeables are an option with long term use.