Light recommendations please

fordag

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I found this site through flashlightreviews.com

I've been in the market for a new flashlight to replace my Streamlight Scorpion for tactical use and my Inova X5 (blue) for general find stuff in the dark use.

Carrying two lights is just not working for me. So I've been looking hard at the SureFires particularly the L2 & the U2. My main concern is that the light be truly useful for tactical use with a firearm preferably brighter than my Scorpion. I like the whiter white of LEDs as well as the variable power option. Though I'm not married to the idea of LEDs. I'd say the M3's size is about the upper limit of what I would consider for everyday carry which rulled out the 9AN, though I liked the stated outputs.

I'll use the low output 80%-90% of the time and high the rest, however I do want the high power to be able to adequately startle someone even a bear (this worked once with my Scorpion on a dark night, though I don't recommend it) The high power performance is what will matter most.

My main concern with the L2 & U2 is beam shape, 100 & 80 lumens sound good unless it's spread over everyplace... Currently though the L2 seems the best with it's two stage switch, is it good enough for tactical?

So with those things in mind what would you choose as a dual purpose light? I'll also be getting a red & a blue beam cover for the light in question. Which also makes me wonder will simply having the beam cover on give me the dual output I need? Or does the beam cover not really reduce light all that much?

Unfortunately there are no decent SureFire dealers in my area (MA) the one decent dealer is out of stock on several items, so I'll be ordering from SureFire.

Thanks very much,
David

rscanady

Enlightened
I have the L2 and EDC it all the time, I have also used it in Low Light/Nightfire firearms training with a Kimber 1911 and Glock 19, and it worked beautifully, so IMHO it should work fine as a tactical light also, while still using the low setting for everyday tasks. It fits my jean pockets fine, except one pair that has shallow pockets, over all it has worked extremely well for me, I got mine at Meridian Tacital for $148 shipped free, this was the lowest price I could find, hope this help, keep in mind that this is only one man's opinion.

Ryan

fordag

Newly Enlightened
I'd like the light to be usable (target identification) at a decent distance preferably 12-15 yds with an absolute minimum of 7 yds. In fact at 7 yds I'd like someone I shine the light at the be forced to shield their eyes.

Ryan, what ranges did you qualify at while using a flashlight?

Thanks,
David

cslinger

Enlightened
Surefire A2 seems like it would make a dandy light for your needs. The incandescent beam will easily throw far enough for your target ID needs and is 50 very white lumens so should be tactically bright at close range. Get the white LED option and you have a great low level light to use for navigation or paperwork.

Best of both worlds really.

Chris

nethiker

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF fordaq. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

This is a great place for just the kind of information you are looking for. There are a great number of friendly, helpful people here who know much more about lights than I do. So I will let them make more educated recommendations.

I would caution you about a dealer that is getting some questionable comments here and was mentioned in this thread. See Re: Problem with Meridian Tactical for more information.

Again, welcome and hope you stay awhile, sounds like you know your lights.

Greg

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I would strongly consider the SureFire L4 with the McGizmo two-stage switch. You can buy the switch fully assembled from Wayne at the Sandwich Shoppe, www.theledguy.com, and screw off the L4 switch and screw on the new one.

You will have a momentary button for tactical use -- with a low setting which is great for every day use and with a harder press, a high setting that is quite blinding at perhaps 60 lumens, although throw will not be as intense as for an incandescent light.

If throw is the primary concern, I second the A2 as I think this is excellent for throw, has two stages and a tactical momentary button.

Both lights are the right size for EDC.

Welcome to CPF!

fordag

Newly Enlightened
The A2 & the L2 seem popular. Can anyone tell me how the throw of the A2 & the L2 compare? Since the L2 is listed as twice as bright on high. Also how does either compare to a Scorpion?

I couldn't find prices on www.theledguy.com for the two stage switch mentioned for the L4

cslinger

Enlightened
The L2 is a flood light the A2 will throw much further. As far as the A2 and the Scorpian. I have a SL TL2 and the A2's beam throws at least as well and is whiter but is not quite as bright as the TL2. The TL2 should compare beam wise almost identically to your Scorpian from what I have seen and may be a bit brighter but nothing to write home about.

So Incan A2 to TL2/Scorpian I would say the A2 throws as well if not better but isn't quite as bright, prettier whiter beam but not quite as white. Where the A2 shines is while the TL2 is really bright initially it fades like most other lights. The A2 is regulated and burns just as bright for it's entire 45-60 minute run time. Figure 50 minutes as an average burn time.

A2 in LED mode(White)is plenty of light for those mundane tasks such as reading, basic navigation, writing etc.

fordag

Newly Enlightened
Urgh, I just realized the A2 doesn't accept any filters. One of the reasons I'm switching is to have the best of both worlds, red light for night vision or white light for color identification. Try finding the right color wire with a blue (or for that matter red) light.

Will the L5 take a two stage switch?

I reallty appreciate all the advice so far.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif Hi, fordag, and welcome to CPF. If you intend to try judging the colors of wires with a LED light, I would try it with your X5t, 1st. I have an X5t, and it is rather bluish. This seems to be a common occurrence with some LEDs, including Luxeons. If you can easily identify colors with your X5t, it shouldn't be a problem. But since many people claim that LEDs do not give as good color rendition as incandescents, and in fact many LEDs are tinted, I think the wise thing to do would be to try it with a LED first. Thanks, and I hope that you find a light that suits your needs.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
fordag said:
Urgh, I just realized the A2 doesn't accept any filters. One of the reasons I'm switching is to have the best of both worlds, red light for night vision or white light for color identification. Try finding the right color wire with a blue (or for that matter red) light.

Will the L5 take a two stage switch?

I reallty appreciate all the advice so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want an LED at all!

The output of white LED's is not good for color identification. You need the broad spectrum output of an incandescent light.

For the same reason, color filters don't work well with white LED's. If you put a red filter on an L2, L4, L5 or L6, the output is VERY DIM. Not at all like putting a red filter on an incandescent light.

oldgrandpajack

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The Surefire A2-HA-RD sounds like a perfect match for you. You'd have the broad spectrum output of the incandescent lamp, for color identification, plus the low level output of the red LED's, for night vision.

oldgrandpajack

fordag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice, after reading what everyone on this thread and others have to say I've decided on the A2 with blue LEDs (simply because I prefer the blue light even though red is better for night vision).

Now if I can just find a store within 50 miles of Boston, MA that has one in stock!

Thanks all,
David

rscanady

Enlightened
Fordag,
Sorry havent had time to visit boards lately, I live in Oregon and shoot at a training school called Oregon Firearms Academy, Linn COunty SWAT also uses this for their training, I have attended 3 Low light/ Night fires and used an E2E, E1E (KL1), scorpion, G2, and L2 to shoot and qualify with, all worked well enough for target ID, some better than others, but the L2 on high is definitely enough for target ID and the person next to yours, the E2E is my next favorite, I think the A2 would also work well for you, good luck with whatever you purchase.

Ryan