Solux 50W 4700K on a M*g 4D

AW

Newly Enlightened
Bought a Solux 50W 4700K 10 Degree MR16 lamp the other day while browsing a lighting fixture shop. Spend couple hours modding a M*g 4D to run this lamp. Using the same kind of heat resistant switch mod like before ( easy to make /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), and 4 3AA to D holders from waion. Running with 12 Energizer 2100mAH NiMH cells, the light output is very amazing. Bright and white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif!!! However, there are some quite noticeable artifacts in the beam and the hot spot is not quite as smooth compare with an OSRAM 35W 10 Degree. I would say I like the beam quality better for the OSRAM but prefer the white 4700K color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

Beam from the Solux 4700K 50W lamp

PICT0058.jpg

Beam from an OSRAM 35W 10 Degree lamp

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup,

I do love the Solux and Ushio bulbs. Mine don't manifest artifacts though. The voltage on those cells at 4.2V must be pulled down close to 1.08V/cell or about 12.9V or slight overdrive. At 14V, it's very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heck, I like this setup so much I'm building 45 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

AW

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Yup,

I do love the Solux and Ushio bulbs. Mine don't manifest artifacts though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I got a lemon on this Solux. BTW, you have a really good price on these bulbs on your groupbuy thread. I paid way more here - but I couldn't wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll trade you some bulbs for a fresh durian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this Solux 4700K halogen? How come it looks as if it's HID/Luxeon white? I have seen xenon filled bulbs but nothing come as close as this. The osram looks like halogen to me.

AW

Newly Enlightened
koala,

Yes, it is a halogen and it is white!!However, it has a yellow ring on the outside corona that gives it away.

Kiu

Enlightened
AW,

Good shots~ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
Could you tell me where is the shop? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
I'll trade you some bulbs for a fresh durian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

*runs out to the local market*

"Whaddya mean, FedEx refuses to ship something that smells as strongly as a durian?!?!"

AW

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif