does anybody own a longbow micra with turbohead?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still debating over the longbow micra, but what I need to know is if the boosterhead makes a noticable difference in throw? The micra alone isnt such a throw monster, but if the boosterhead can crank up the throw, then maybe the micra is a good idea.

-David

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Why not buy the Micra and see if you like it?

If you don't, you can sell it on the B/S/T forum. I can almost guarantee someone will buy it.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: does anybody own a longbow micra with turbohea

The stock Micra I have gets 880 lux at one meter. The PR head boosts the lux reading to 1198 lux and the Booster Head is 2030 lux. That is a difference of 36% and 131% brighter beam over the stock head.

Remember as the beam pattern gets brighter and more narrow the spill light is less.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get a micra, you'll like it. With turbo heard, yourll get the throw you want.

petevb

Newly Enlightened

Why not a Longbow Mini instead? 2x 123, but it's still 4.5" exactly with the twist head. More run time, power, and can be had for under $70 new. You can always put the head on it too...

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, a stock 2x123A Mini will easily kick the 1x123A Micra. It is nice that all the parts will interchange with each other...except for the light module.

I've got a Mini and took out the stock direct drive. Then I replaced the insides using a McCapsule, DB1000 and a UX1J emitter. Then I added the Booster Head. It was a very simple mod. The modded Mini combination simply devastates the stock Mini and obliterates the Micra.

A Micra is a nice carry around but if you want some serious light go with the Mini.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, do I get mini or micra? Oh yeah, whats the difference between PR head and boosterhead?

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The McGizmo PR head uses a fine working Pelican reflector while the Booster Head has a, I believe, large 30mm optic.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmmm, you said that the booster head had more lux. So basically the boosterhead outthrows the PR head right?

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, Booster Head beats PR head for pure lux output. But you lose a lot of spill light using the Booster Head.

gorlank

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
WallaceD said:
Why not buy the Micra and see if you like it?

If you don't, you can sell it on the B/S/T forum. I can almost guarantee someone will buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, you have to take the plunge sooner or later.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

SO the PR head has less spillbeam but less throw? How is this possible?

-Daid

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The PR head has less throw but has the advantage of a better spill beam. My stock Mirca has the twisty tailcap and uses the PR head. I use it for my EDC.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

If your really after throw you might want to head the incan route. A Surefire G2 can be had for much less then the mirca are turbo head and throws verywell. If size isn't an issue mod a mag and you'll have a 200+ lumen monster that is focusable to a very very tight beam. Mine will reach out 100 yards easily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just bought myself a longbow micra. It is black and I got her for $61 with clicky , is the black model type III anodized too?

-David

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I know, all Micras are HA III so you don't gotta worry about scratching her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice, well, is $61 good? Do you guys know if the black paint will chip?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
I just bought myself a longbow micra. It is black and I got her for $61 with clicky , is the black model type III anodized too?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

No, black Micra is anodize-2,, which is why its less expensive than the OD Micras (HA-3). Having said this, if you are careful even the anodize-2 finish will probably be fine, as I carried a Minimag 2AA in the supplied holster for 3+ years and the finish lasted fine--except when I dropped it on pavement once (even HA-3 would fail when dropped on cement).

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uhh man, type II dang!!! well, will the pain chip off?

-David