SureFire E2L - Opinions

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I own one. I EDC it everyday! Excellent light!

It isnt too long for me to carry in my pants pocket and I LOVE the beam. It has that new-kl1-like square beam that has nice throw and a longtime.

It is a good choice, any more questions?

-tom

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Any beamshots? Feel free to post some... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Any idea when the E2L and E1L will be shipping internationally? I would sure like to see one...

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I have an E1L Outdoorsman, which is the 1x123A version of the light. Basically, the new Outdoorsman series of Surefire uses the new KL1 bezel (with the TIR optic) on the Executive series bodies. The E1L Outdoorsman is the KL1 bezel on a E1e body, the E2L Outdoorsman is the KL1 bezel on an E2e body. Both come with Z57 clicky tailcaps. Surefire rates the output and runtime of the lights at 25 lumens for 4 hours on the E1L, 30 lumens for 6 hours on the E2L.

My comments are based on my experiences with the E1L but since this light is basically the E2L's little brother my comments should, for the most part, be applicable to the E2L.

As most people have already noted with the new KL1 heads, they throw quite well for their size but the TIR optic produces minimal sidespill and the beam hotspot is quite square-ish. Some with love it, others will hate the 'imperfect' beam shape and lack of sidespill. The luxeon lottery also a factor; my own KL1 head has a somewhat greenish tint. It personally does not bother me and I really only notice it when I compare it to my KL4 head. When viewed by itself it seems quite white to my eyes and is very useable. It is fairly good for distance spotting; I did my own informal throw test by standing at one goal of a soccer (football to non-Americans) field and shining the light towards the other goal and it lit it up fairly well. However, the lack of sidespill may make it difficult to use for close-up work. The F04 beamshaper is listed as an accessory and this should smooth out most of the artifacts as well as create more sidespill. However, I have not tried this myself (I do not own an F04) so this is speculation on my part.

Hope this helps some.