Is there an LED replacement for this bulb?

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a cheap Coleman battery powered lanter at Walmart a few weeks ago and used it the other night only to discover it has a bad connection in it. (nothing I didn't expect from Wally) So I've got it all opened up and it looks easy enough to fix by bending some conectors around so they make better contact but anyway this let me get up close and personal to the bulb.

It looks like a standard incandecent bulb, it has a rim around the base of the glass with a V notch in it which is how its inserted. One of the contacts is V shaped you push it down past the V and twist the blulb a bit so the contact can't slip back through the notch.

Anyway I know there's some banners here at the forums that sell drop in replacements but I don't see them at the moment and I'm not sure if they make one for this paticular type of bulb. Any recomendations would be great.

I should note I'm not too concerned with the battery life from the LED, I'd really only bother with this mod if I can get a brighter lantern out of it.

Thanx guys.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Depending on what bulb was in the lantern I doubt you are going to get more light out of it without going to a luxeon LED pr based bulb or modding it for a luxeon. Most krypton lanterns have either .5A or .7A bulbs in them and I am guessing it is 6v which makes it about 3-4 watts incan. I believe a 1watt luxeon should get pretty close to similar output but getting it to spread light evenly would take some doing.

Depending on how much you want to spend you may be better suited to just buy a 4D 9watt flourescent lantern from walmart for about $10 because the luxeon route could run you more if you don't mod it yourself and just use a drop in LED replacement bulb like everled for about $40.

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
I got two flourecents as well which brings up another question.

What will they do when the batteries start to die? Do they fade out or just go out all the sudden?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
They usually start to dim as the batteries lose voltage and current.
Nimh, or nicad batteries are the more even discharge, longer running at full brightness, and stable battery source for flouros imho.

rwolff

Enlightened
I've got a few "swiss army knife" lights (about 4" in diameter, handle along one side, flourescent along the other, incandescent in one end, and red and amber blinkers at the ends of the handle) that take 6 D cells (2 stacks of 3). They've got a built-in charging circuit for NiCd, or can run on a "wall wart" or cigarette lighter adapter. When I tried a multi-voltage "wall wart", the flourescent looked about the same on alkalines as on the "wall wart" at 9V. When I set the "wall wart" to 7.2V (didn't have a bunch of "D" NiCd cells), the flourescent took a long time to come on, and then lit only dimly. Now that I've got a digital camera, a pile of AA NiMH, and a bunch of "battery size change sleeves" (prior test was a few years ago, before I was bitten by the photon bug), I'll have to test one at 7.2V on batteries. From this, I'd say that the flourescent is likely to run at fairly constant brightness until the batteries drop to some threshold, then rapidly get a lot dimmer.

I've got a pile of 720 mAH 4/5 AA NiCd cells (local surplus emporium was clearing out cordless phone packs at $1.99 each), and I plan to make up 16 cell packs (4x4 series/parallel) to run them at close to their design voltage.