Blue light

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I'm looking for a blue or cyan light for under $55 USD. I'd really like a Luxeon but the only blue lux I can find on the market (the L1) is out of my budget.

Any suggestions? Is the X5 the only way to go for anything above keychain-toy brightness?

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
A CS rep at Surefire told me the other day that they had blue luxeon KL3 heads (about $62) in stock (I ordered one) and also said that the KL1 head (about $56) could be had with a blue luxeon but it was out-of-stock or backordered at the moment. I got the KL3 head for my old 9P, but it'll work on the M2, C2, etc etc as I recall.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. After taking another look at the market, I'm going to save up for a Luxeon Pentagon Light for when it is available.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
I would highly recomend the Inova 5x in blue. That was my first "expensive" light. I really like it, and i keep it in my car. Very bright, good spill (all spill).

SubtleIrony

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a blue Lux 3 from Ebay for $13.50
and putting it in the dimmer of the 2 XM-3's. I wonder how bright it will be... since the XM-3 underdrives the LED.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a new SF KL3 head with a blue luxeon for use on my SF 9P. It's pretty bright with a hotspot and some mild spill. I noticed what looked like smudges and streaks on the surface of the optic (not on the lens covering the optic) and also the beam has a somewhat peculiar squarish pattern in the center that looks for all the world like a wheat chex (you know, the cereal). Comparing the blue-ness to my blue Peak McKinley, the McKinley is more of a deeper blue and the SF has more of a blue-green cast generally speaking.