OT: Wanted: criminal mind...

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

No, wait, that did not come out right, err:

Wanted: Analytical mind, with some experience in criminal matters to explore CC fraud…

Ahh, better.

Ok, SITREP: one of our CC cards (one we used in our honeymoon stateside) has shown some "unexplained" fund leakage, and that only last month (ie: after being back home for 8 month). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have a few leads and a few ideas, tracked a few things dwn already. Would appreciate assistance from someone stateside.

Thanks.

[email protected]

MoonRise

Enlightened
As SOON as you notice something wrong on/with your credit card, REPORT IT.

If you did not use the card for a purchase or transaction, call the credit card company and REPORT IT.

You don't have to play sleuth yourself, all you have to do is look at the satement and check your receipts. If they don't match up, REPORT IT to the credit card company ASAP.

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
Local bank called to say that there has been an quote "attempt" unquote, to use the card fraudulently. (that was about ten days ago) They said to come in, cancel that one and issue a new one. That was done the next day.

Pb is the local bank around here apparently did not do their job too well. (which they by now even admitted)

Latest bank statement (from Feb) now shows that the "attempt" was successful. Make that plural.

Now I'm contemplating to see the "LEGAT" at the local embassy.

*edited some for context

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Now would be a good time to check your credit history, just in case someone is trying to do some identity theft. Equifax is one of them, and they have a web page you can access from whereever you are.

Daniel

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip Daniel.

Will do that just in case. However, ID theft should not be the problem here, thank gawd... At least, I think it unlikely, given the circumstances.

To be on the safe side, I'll send out an All Hands to some friends around NYC... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's the funny thing, I have an 80% hunch just who the perp is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
COMSEUR said:
Local bank called to say that there has been an quote "attempt" unquote, to use the card fraudulently. (that was about ten days ago) They said to come in, cancel that one and issue a new one. That was done the next day.

Pb is the local bank around here apparently did not do their job too well. (which they by now even admitted)

Latest bank statement (from Feb) now shows that the "attempt" was successful. Make that plural.

Now I'm contemplating to see the "LEGAT" at the local embassy.

*edited some for context

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that case they should cover you for any losses from fraudulent & unauthorized transactions.