BadBoy Luxeon vs PT Attitude

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this seems like an unlikely match up!

I've gotten into the habit of carrying two lights for my daily walks on a mostly deserted country road; an LED for the primary light to put out a flood type beam for walking and an incandescent with good throw to spot light items of interest.

I've been pretty happy with the PT Attitude for the LED because although it isn't blindingly bright...it was enough and I really love the compactness of it. I went ahead and got a BadBoy 400 (which looks like a great light!). I kind of had the idea that if the BadBoy was bright enough...maybe I could just carry one light and leave the incandescent (UK 4AA AS2) behind.

Well...the BadBoy is clearly brighter than the Attitude but not enough to be the only light. So...I think I will stick with the Attitude for daily use on those walks! Although it is dimmer, it also preserves my night vision better and I can always switch on the UK if I need something really bright!

As far as the Attitude and the BadBoy (in a MagLite) housing go...I like pretty much everything about the Attitude better. It's more compact, feels better in the hand (knurling kinda sharp on the MagLite?), seems more reliable (being designed to be the way it is vs. the retrofit of the BadBoy in the MagLite). The BadBoy tends to flicker once in a while if you bump the MagLite body (as the BadBoy module makes less then perfect contact with the MagLite body)...the Attitude is nothing but ROCK SOLID.

Once in a while I've had to clench the Attitude in my teeth to use both hands for a moment...its flat plastic body is way nicer for that sort of thing than the round, aluminum MagLite. On a cold walk tonight, the Maglite aluminum body got REALLY COLD while the plastic bodies of my Attitude and UK 4AA stayed comfortable to the touch.

The BadBoy/MagLite does have two aspects that are more appealing; it's easier to leave 2 NiMH AAs on charge than it is to use up all 4 of my charger bays on AAAs to feed the Attitude with fresh batteries + the BadBoy is regulated! Although, I routinely charge the AAAs for the Attitude about once/week and in that time, its brightness doesn't really dimish a noticeable amount even though it is direct drive. I suppose in a pinch, the unregulated Attitude would even be an advantage giving me longer battery life.

Then there's the cost...PT Attitude was about $22 delivered and the BadBoy + Maglite almost $45; about double.

I really feel like this UK 4AA AS2 + Attitude combination (both running on NiMH) is a pretty good team up! You can barely tell you are carrying the Attitude and the UK is small enough to slide in and out of a pocket quite easily.

So...I really like that BadBoy and I'll likely keep it, but if I really had a chance to try them all first I think I would just have stuck with the Attitude + UK (and saved myself $45).

JimM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that comparison....I have an Attitude and just got a SureFire E1, thinking along the same lines as you. Maybe an E1 with an Inova X5T combination would be the ticket....food for thought.
Jim

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
ikendu,
I use a BB500 in a Minim*g and have had no problems with it ever! If it flickers, remove the adaptor and clean the edges of the thing. Make sure both the inside of the mag is clean along with the board. Also, if you don't use one, get the Kroll tailswitch for the Badboys--they are basically a must have to ensure the flashlight works correctly.
You can go to dat2zip's website and there is a lot of information on how to make the BB400 perfect. I have had my BB500 with the tailswitch for two months and it works perfectly and I won't give that light up.
smile.gif

Reaper

Enlightened
Is there something wrong with my eyes or do I read multiple postings? Nope, must be old age. My primary EDC is now a mini with a ILL. Pill and my ever present CMG Infinity on keyring. I find these two cover all my needs at present and have never had any problems or gliches in their functions. Maybe in the near future, the pill will be rotated with a LGI. Who knows?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
So what I'm dyijng to find out, does Benthead use a BB500 in a mini mag?
grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The multiple posting bit is RIDICULOUS!

My EDC of a M!n! M*g with a Madmax, Ram Switch, and Glass Lense is reliable and pretty bright. Only real problem is I have around 60 bucks! involved! My Attitude MIGHT could do it... if I had the right belt sheath. But the M*g rides in it's original just fine.

For long reach, I think I'd take my TEC40 along. But of course my Stinger HP is right out there in my truck....

Empath

Flashaholic
I'm temporarily locking this thread until morning. If the duplicate BentheadTX posting continues to repost itself then.... well we'll think of something.

Okay, it's reopened. And cleaned.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ledfoot:
I use the PT Attitude and the Brinkmann Legend LX.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I tried a Brinkmann LX and really loved it! I just couldn't get past the expensive batteries. Although, since I only spot light things once in a while...maybe a set of batteries would last me a really long time. There's no doubt the LX on 123s way outshines my UK 4AA on NiMHs!